Stake YW/YM Facebook Page?!?

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
leslieyardley

Stake YW/YM Facebook Page?!?

Post by leslieyardley »

I have recently been called as our ward Stake YW President. Our stake is spread out land wise a bit. We have two high schools in our stake boundary and we are really striving to unite these youth. We will be doing a lot of activities with our neighboring stake as well, and are trying to unite the youth of both these stakes as well. We know how strong the youth especially in our stake use Facebook and had the thought of using Facebook to post our recent activities, promote uplifting spiritual thoughts, allow the youth to have another resource to know what is going on within our stake as far as activities are concerned. BUT after reading the handbook I am having VERY mixed impressions if this is something that is OK to do. I am not sure what/how is the best way to communicate with the youth of our stake (via the internet). I don't want to go against the handbook in any way, but know that the youth are big time internet users... please help to guide me in this matter.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Since you've read the handbook, then you're aware of the guidelines published by the church. You need to speak to your local leaders who hold the keys to interpreting the handbook.

Note that you can publish the events via the church calendar. If the youth have set up their accounts, it can sync with their personal calendars, including smart phones. I personally like that method as I don't have to do anything. It's just there.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
leslieyardley

Post by leslieyardley »

Thanks for your thoughts!!! We do have all the events on the church calendar. Its good to know that you can sync them!!!!
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

leslieyardley wrote:Thanks for your thoughts!!! We do have all the events on the church calendar. Its good to know that you can sync them!!!!

When you say "the church calendar", is it the new calendar at lds.org/calendar? Is it on it's own calendar separate from adult events the youth wouldn't have any interest in? That way they can subscribe to just youth events and not clutter their calendar with things that do not apply to them.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
leslieyardley

Post by leslieyardley »

Yes it is the new calendar at lds.org/calendar. Its with the group, but listed in a separate catagorie so they can just click the stake ym/yw categorie and see just that. Is there another better way?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

As long as they can just subscribe to just the Stake YM/YW events, then that's what I'm talking about.

Return to “General Discussions”