Handbook 1: Stake Presidents and Bishops:

Discussions about the Leader and Clerk Resources on lds.org.
CSnelson

Handbook 1: Stake Presidents and Bishops:

Post by CSnelson »

I used to be able to access Handbook 1 online but now I am unable to. Whenever I click on the link for Handbook 1 it directs me to Handbook 2. Nothing has changed with my calling (Stake Assistant Clerk) any ideas?

aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

CSnelson wrote:I used to be able to access Handbook 1 online but now I am unable to. Whenever I click on the link for Handbook 1 it directs me to Handbook 2. Nothing has changed with my calling (Stake Assistant Clerk) any ideas?

It's not unusual that you would not be able to access Handbook 1 online -- what's inexplicable is that you were ever able to have access as an assistant stake clerk. The stake clerk himself has access, but assistants do not. I can't explain how you were able to have access in the past, but what you describe now is exactly the behavior I see (and have always seen) as an assistant stake clerk.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
reysonpua

Post by reysonpua »

Is it possible to download a PDF version of handbook 1. i am a Windows tablet user, and find it very helpful to have a ready reference, that can be annotated.

i actually have a scanned version converted to OCR, but the filesize is bigger compared to the official PDF version of Book 2.

i understand that the Church did not made this possible in the website, but it has been very helpful to me. as a member of the Church, it could be a lifetime service, and a better access to handbooks is very helpful.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

reysonpua wrote:Is it possible to download a PDF version of handbook 1. i am a Windows tablet user, and find it very helpful to have a ready reference, that can be annotated.

i actually have a scanned version converted to OCR, but the filesize is bigger compared to the official PDF version of Book 2.

i understand that the Church did not made this possible in the website, but it has been very helpful to me. as a member of the Church, it could be a lifetime service, and a better access to handbooks is very helpful.

Although a PDF version of Handbook 1 could certainly be useful, I have to think that the Church made their decision not to publish such a PDF for good reasons. Therefore I think we should be wary of trying to do something on our own that the Church specifically chose not to do. Access to your PDF version is not controlled by official Church authentication systems according to your current calling; I don't think it's within our choice to take information that the Church has protected and put it in a less secure place.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
reysonpua

Post by reysonpua »

thanks for the reply.

so are you saying i should discontinue or delete my handbook 1 file? its password protected, and very handy when searching for keywords.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

reysonpua wrote:so are you saying i should discontinue or delete my handbook 1 file? its password protected, and very handy when searching for keywords.
I was just offering my opinions and some thoughts. You can make your own decisions, perhaps in consultation with your priesthood leaders.
kisaac
Community Moderators

Post by kisaac »

CSnelson wrote:I used to be able to access Handbook 1 online but now I am unable to. Whenever I click on the link for Handbook 1 it directs me to Handbook 2. Nothing has changed with my calling (Stake Assistant Clerk) any ideas?]
As has been noted before, this is by design, and mimics the issue of the printed copies of Handbook 1. Although Assistant Stake Clerks (and Ward / branch Assistant clerks) are allowed to read Handbook 1 when needed, we are not physically issued them, and "share" a copy with the Stake or Ward clerk. While one could make the argument that if I am allowed to read the physical copy of Handbook 1 as needed, why not have it online as well? By granting "across the board access" to assistant clerks, one might assume ALL assistant clerks need Handbook 1 access, which is NOT true. In my experience, many assistant clerks (stake and ward) have duties that would never require access to Handbook 1.
reysonpua

Post by reysonpua »

aebrown wrote:I was just offering my opinions and some thoughts. You can make your own decisions, perhaps in consultation with your priesthood leaders.
Thank you. I don't mean to be rude with my statement. i appreciate your comment.

i can actually just use the online copy but by preference, i find it more efficient using the same format in paging and layout as with the printed version. i use the same preference in all our Church publications, including the manuals, scripture, magazines, etc., which are all available in PDF downloads. I think I have a very unique preference as nobody has probably has opted as mine. I want to electronically make my annotations using stylus and handwriting to have the same feel and experience as with the printed version, and this would facilitate quicker retrieval of information when actually using the printed copy, either it be a scriptures, manuals, handbooks, magazines, etc. because photographic mapping of its location is already stored somewhere in the brain.

sorry for sharing this thought. i just feel excited and find it very useful with all the Church publications. i really am grateful for what the Church is doing in technology.
TinMan

Post by TinMan »

Never having served in a Stake position, I am just curious:

What information does an "Assistant Stake Clerk" need to access in handbook 1? Why isn't the "shared copy" good enough?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

kisaac wrote:As has been noted before, this is by design, and mimics the issue of the printed copies of Handbook 1. Although Assistant Stake Clerks (and Ward / branch Assistant clerks) are allowed to read Handbook 1 when needed, we are not physically issued them, and "share" a copy with the Stake or Ward clerk.

IIRC, who can read Handbook 1 is open to interpretation. I think it said something like "clerks" but the question is is it plural because there's multiple units or plural because it's clerk and assistants? In either case, the assistant clerks were not specifically called out - either to include or exclude.

I think it's clear that CHQ is taking the narrower interpretation.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Leader and Clerk Resources”