Can Emergency Preparedness Rep verify addresses?

Discussions about the Ward Directory and Map tool on churchofjesuschrist.org.
siredge

Can Emergency Preparedness Rep verify addresses?

Post by siredge »

Our Emergency Preparedness Rep would like to be able to verify locations as he assigns. It sounds like the only way to accomplish that is to give him privileges as a membership clerk. Any suggestions?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

siredge wrote:Our Emergency Preparedness Rep would like to be able to verify locations as he assigns. It sounds like the only way to accomplish that is to give him privileges as a membership clerk. Any suggestions?
Verifying addresses is a clerk responsibility. My personal opinion is that it's a very questionable practice to give someone privileges for a calling he has not been given. It's nice of the EP Rep to be willing to help out, and I can certainly understand that he would like all the addresses to be properly verified, but it's not his responsibility. Is there a reason the clerks can't take care of this?
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I don't see anything wrong with calling him as a clerk with the specific assignment to verify addresses if that's what's needed. But I would not "give him privileges as a membership clerk" unless he is actually called as a clerk though the stake.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

siredge wrote:Our Emergency Preparedness Rep would like to be able to verify locations as he assigns. It sounds like the only way to accomplish that is to give him privileges as a membership clerk. Any suggestions?
If it is a matter of the amount of work to actually verify the physical location, then they can help. They will just need to record it, on a map, or the lat/long, etc. Then he can give that information to a clerk to adjust on the actual map application.

Note: If you know where the members houses are actually moving the locations on the map doesn't take much time.
jwnacnud

A little additional information?

Post by jwnacnud »

Are you trying to verify that an address is valid and deliverable? Meaning that if you were to send a letter would it get there? Or are you just trying to geocode specific addresses?

I would assume that you want to verify that the address is actually where the address says it is and make sure that all your address are actually standardized (or normalized.) If this is the case, there are a number of services that can do address verification for you. I know that the member records are confidential, so you don't want to just put them out there for any company to see.

So, I guess I'm just wondering a little more about your needs. I ask because about a year ago I offered our address verification/validation services to the church and never really heard back.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jwnacnud wrote:Are you trying to verify that an address is valid and deliverable? Meaning that if you were to send a letter would it get there? Or are you just trying to geocode specific addresses?

I would assume that you want to verify that the address is actually where the address says it is and make sure that all your address are actually standardized (or normalized.) If this is the case, there are a number of services that can do address verification for you. I know that the member records are confidential, so you don't want to just put them out there for any company to see.

So, I guess I'm just wondering a little more about your needs. I ask because about a year ago I offered our address verification/validation services to the church and never really heard back.
Since this is posted in the Maps section, it's about "verifying" address on the Map. That is - matching the address to the correct house in the aerial view of the street.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
siredge

Re: Can Emergency Preparedness Rep verify addresses?

Post by siredge »

Thanks to everyone that replied. I must not have my notification settings properly configured- I didn't realize anyone had ever replied and came to ask another question...

In our case, the Emergency Prep. Rep was the previous membership clerk and the bishop had specifically asked that he assist in verifying addresses. Of course, that was two years ago, and all involved are now involved in different callings.

Return to “Ward Directory and Map”