Emailing all adults

Discussions about the Ward Directory and Map tool on churchofjesuschrist.org.
dr_computer

Emailing all adults

Post by dr_computer »

I have just run into a problem with the all "adults" email in the directory. A complete email broadcast from our ward directory is too large for some email services so the message is truncated. Would it maybe be possible to have a large email broadcast be sent in multi-transmissions. I have this on one website I work with....
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

Since the email function of the Directory uses your computer's email client, I don't see how this suggestion could be implemented. It's your email client that is sending the message, so that's the application that would have to break up the recipient list into multiple chunks. No LDS.org application is involved in sending the message.

And I think when you say "the message is truncated" you really mean that the recipient list is truncated. Correct?

[Moderator note: I moved this post here from the "All" Category thread in the Beta Newsletter forum, since it deals with the Directory, not the Newsletter.]
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
dr_computer

Post by dr_computer »

The email link for all adults seems to be broken...
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

dr_computer wrote:The email link for all adults seems to be broken...
It works fine for me. Could you be more specific as to what you are seeing that leads you to say it is broken? Is there no link? Or does the link give you a 404 error? Or does it do nothing? Or does it do something else unexpected?

And in my previous reply to you, I asked a question. It would help if you could answer that question.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Works fine for me as well. Well, at least the link works. If I hover over the link, I can see the data. However, my ward is so large, that it crashes Windows Live when I click on it.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
sasgrw

Post by sasgrw »

I noticed the recipient list being truncated but only in Outlook. The URL on LUWS for emailing all adults has a correctly formed "mailto" link with everyone's email listed out. But if I click on it and Outlook is my default mail client, the BCC field is truncated at 2077 characters. For my ward, that's not long enough. I can still type in the BCC field after the message comes up so Outlook itself doesn't appear to be causing the truncation but whatever background thing is run that starts up Outlook (DOS shell?) might be causing it.

If I try this on a Mac, Mac Mail correctly has all the email recipients in the BCC field.

I didn't try another email client.

Return to “Ward Directory and Map”