Class List

Discussions about the Lesson Schedules Tool
sjpynes

Class List

Post by sjpynes »

Why does the "Book of Mormon: Gospel Doctrine Teacher’s Manual" appear twice in the
"Class" list?

Just wondering if one of those is supposed to be pointing to the lessons in the "BOOK OF MORMON CLASS MEMBER STUDY GUIDE" instead?

Steve
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

It looks like the programmers left the Book of Mormon Class Member Study Guide off the Manual and Lesson Material dropdown list for classes. It could possibly be that the second class with the title "Book of Mormon: Gospel Doctrine Teacher’s Manual" was supposed to be the Member Study Guide.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
mstauff

Post by mstauff »

The class list should only be classes that your unit offers. I think some of the youth sunday school classes use that same manual don't they? I expect that's why it's there twice. The system generates a list of common classes for each unit to give leaders a starting point, but there will need to be a fair bit of customization before the schedule will accurately reflect what classes are actually taught (in my ward nothing's been customized so we only show one of each group of primary classes, rather than all the primary classes we actually have).

A ward admin can change the name of the classes to clarify that it's a youth course, or they can remove the duplicate class if needed.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

mstauff wrote:The class list should only be classes that your unit offers.
The Lesson application provides a default set of classes for units when they first start building their classes. There are two issues that sjpynes is noting. The first is the duplication of one class in the default set. The second is the default class for the Gospel Doctrine class uses the incorrect manual. Instead of the Book of Mormon Class Member Study Guide, the only available manual provided for the Gospel Doctrine class is the Book of Mormon Gospel Teacher Manual.

As members use the Lesson application they may not be aware that the unit administrators have not customized the class set for their unit. The duplication of the Gospel Doctrine class is an unfortunate result of the programmers duplicating the class in the default set for a unit as well as unit administrators not customizing the class set for their unit. The presence of the Book of Mormon Gospel Teacher Manual on the list of manuals is a programming error. Administrators cannot add manuals to the list of available manuals for classes. They are stuck using the teacher manual instead of the member study guide. If they choose not to use the teacher manual then there is no link to the chapter in the appropriate manual for the member using the application.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
lisaan
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by lisaan »

When I look at my test system's list of manuals, I don't see any duplicates. We don't allows users to enter another manual; the list of manuals is generated by another system and Lesson Schedules presents that list to the users. Can you send me a screen shot of what you're seeing? Thanks.
QA Engineer
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

LisaAn wrote:When I look at my test system's list of manuals, I don't see any duplicates. We don't allows users to enter another manual; the list of manuals is generated by another system and Lesson Schedules presents that list to the users.
The other system is providing the wrong manual for Gospel Doctrine. The manual should be "Book of Mormon: Class Member Study Guide" Instead of "Book of Mormon: Gospel Teacher Manual".
LisaAn wrote:Can you send me a screen shot of what you're seeing? Thanks.
No, I cannot. It is not the manuals list that has the duplicates. It is the default list of classes provided for the new unit or for a unit just beginning to use the application. The solution is simple enough - delete the duplicate. For some units in which the administrators have not made any changes to this default class list the members using the application see a duplicate class titled "Book of Mormon: Gospel Teacher Manual". The default classes are titled the same as the manual for the class.
JD Lessley
sjpynes

Post by sjpynes »

So, it looks like the default list of classes supplied simply gives two "Book of Mormon: Gospel Doctrine Teacher’s Manual" classes. One of them could be removed/renamed if necessary by an administrator. It appears that there are 14 default classes supplied and 14 different manuals that could be selected (no Gospel Doctrine Student Manual). My guess might be that at some point there may have been the thought that the 14 should match the 14, but they do not match.

Return to “Lesson Schedules”