Email Reminders for Temple Recommend Renewals

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
bbuyack

Email Reminders for Temple Recommend Renewals

Post by bbuyack »

As a clerk it's always a challenge to help people remember to renew their temple recommends on time, especially since they moved to the 2 year renewal. Perhaps an automated email system reminder that gives the member the option to send them an email at configured intervals prior to their temple recommend expiring - this could be at say 1 month, 1 week or once it expires. This could also include dates and times of ward and stake temple recommend interviews.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

This sounds like it would have to be a new online application since there is no capability within MLS to send e-mail messages outside the internal MLS messaging system. Also the input from a member to have the option to have the reminder sent would require an interface for all members to be able to select this task option. Where would this application reside? I don't see it being integrated with any current online applications. The challenge is how to implement this.

We can discuss it here but to get it before the right people, a suggestion like this should be submitted through the LDS.org Feedback link.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

Although there are some implementation challenges, I do like the idea.

Especially now that recommends last two years, it's easy to forget to renew them promptly. I enter a lot of the renewals for our stake into MLS, and I see a lot of very active people renew after their recommends expire; I'm guessing they just didn't realize that their renewal time was up. So a reminder would be quite helpful.

And I also like the idea of letting wards and the stake configure a message to be sent to members letting them know when and where interviews are normally conducted. Particularly for members new to the ward or stake, that would be very helpful.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
kirtkennedy

Post by kirtkennedy »

I'm a ward exec sec., and as such I have access to the temple recommend application. At the beginning of each month I send emails to those who's recommend has expired in the last 3 months, another email to those that will expire this month and another who's will expire next month. It takes about 20 minutes at the beginning of each month. It would be nice if you could save the message so you don't have to re write it each month.
bbuyack

Post by bbuyack »

This would be need to come from LDS.org not the local clerk computer. The system already has email and the ability to send emails to members. This would not be that complex to add in the current LDS tools capability. A minor administrative interface from the clerk tools could allow entering the days and times for ward and Stake interviews.

Return to “Membership Help”