Forum login changes

Having a problem with the Forum? Or feedback about the forum? This is the place.
eblood66

Forum login changes

Post by eblood66 »

Since sometime yesterday I've seen some changes in how the forum login works. First, logs me out after a fairly short time whereas previously I could stay logged in for days or even weeks. Second, when I do try to Sign in via the form in the upper right corner of the screen, instead of logging me in it takes me to the normal LDS Account login screen and I have to login again. Finally, instead of taking me back to the screen I was on it takes me to the main lds.org homepage.

Are others seeing the same thing?

The behavior may make some sense if the forum is moving to use the standard lds.org single sign-on support but if that's the case some things need to be fixed. First, the login form in the upper right corner needs to be removed and replaced by a simple signin button or link. Second, it needs to go back to the original page after login.

But personally, I'd rather be able to stay logged in to the forum more than having single sign-on between tech.lds.org and lds.org. I access the forums a lot more than other parts of lds.org.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

There have been some changes made. I'm trying to find out the details. I've also noticed a number of bugs with the new system.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

eblood66 wrote:Since sometime yesterday I've seen some changes in how the forum login works. First, logs me out after a fairly short time whereas previously I could stay logged in for days or even weeks. Second, when I do try to Sign in via the form in the upper right corner of the screen, instead of logging me in it takes me to the normal LDS Account login screen and I have to login again. Finally, instead of taking me back to the screen I was on it takes me to the main lds.org homepage.

Are others seeing the same thing?

The behavior may make some sense if the forum is moving to use the standard lds.org single sign-on support but if that's the case some things need to be fixed. First, the login form in the upper right corner needs to be removed and replaced by a simple signin button or link. Second, it needs to go back to the original page after login.

But personally, I'd rather be able to stay logged in to the forum more than having single sign-on between tech.lds.org and lds.org. I access the forums a lot more than other parts of lds.org.
Yes! I'm also seeing the same login behaviour. Annoying especially on a mobile platform.
kirtkennedy

Post by kirtkennedy »

Yes, me also! very anouying! took me 3 attempts just to reply to this thread.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

Temporary unofficial workaround that works for me:

Go to LDS.org and login.
Go to the Forum.
Click on the Sign In button. (You do not have to enter any information.)
You should be logged into the Forum.

If you are not logged in, click on the Sign In button a second time.

If you bookmark the Forum with https instead of http, you may not have to click on the Forum Sign In button at all.

Yes, there are glitches that will need to be worked out after they finish celebrating Pioneer Day.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

[NOTE]

Please disregard this post for now. The Forum is back to the way it was before all the excitement started.

[End Edit]

__

Here is a temporary workaround that works for me:

At the Forum, click Sign In without entering any information. This will direct you to the LDS Account Sign In page, where you should sign in. You will be redirected to the LDS Account Sign In page again.

Go back to the Forum. If you go back with http, you have to click the Sign In button again. If you go back with https, you are in.

I am sure they will figure out how to debug the process once we finish celebrating Pioneer Day.
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

This should be fixed. There was an inadvertent update to the login code that happened when updating something else related to the forum. It has been rolled back. If you're still seeing issues, let me know.
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

One other thought:

There is an issue where you appear logged out if you log in and then land on an HTTP (vs HTTPS) page. I believe this was an issue before. We're not going to try to fix this immediately. We'll let the dust settle around this fix and some other discussions before attacking that.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

scgallafent wrote:This should be fixed. There was an inadvertent update to the login code that happened when updating something else related to the forum. It has been rolled back. If you're still seeing issues, let me know.

Everything seems to be back to normal.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Help with this forum”