Privacy Policy and Stake Youth activities

Discussions about the Ward Directory and Map tool on churchofjesuschrist.org.
johnshaw

Privacy Policy and Stake Youth activities

Post by johnshaw »

How are others trying to balance the Privacy statements regarding particularly minor children in their stakes and distributing information about them. I'm thinking of the recent evolution of the Directory where minors outside of a unit can't be seen (by anyone other than the Stake Presidency/StkClerk/StkExecSec).
  1. How do you handle gathering data about a Stake Youth Committee? typically includes phone numbers, and email addresses. Do you ask for permission from parents as you gather the data?
  2. How do you handle gathering data about a Stake Youth Committee? typically includes phone numbers, and email addresses. Do you ask for permission from parents as you gather the data?
  3. Registration for Stake Youth Conference, Stake Young Women's Camp, etc... this information is distributed to many people usually, and no sign-off on information distribution is included, typically - I didn't view the medical form before posting, so I don't remember if that has a privacy policy included or not.
  4. What about teachers at a Stake Level. We have a Missionary Preparation program which is multi-unit and includes Laurels/Priests?
I've had a couple of situations I've observed recently:
  • Stake Teacher asked for email/Phone of the Laurels/Priests so he could invite them to attend the Missionary Prep class.... he was only trying to magnify his calling, but I denied the request and asked him to work with the YW/YM leaders in the individual wards, he felt that was not going to be as successful, which is probably right.
  • Stake Youth Conference, several units live far enough away to house them locally. My wife and I volunteered and as part of the instructions we were given the youth's name, email, household and mobile numbers.
I struggle with the fact that we've always had access before, why don't we get it now, when did that rule change, etc...
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

JohnShaw wrote:I struggle with the fact that we've always had access before, why don't we get it now, when did that rule change, etc...

As far as I know, the only thing that changed was that the general membership doesn't have automatic access to everyone in the entire stake just because they are a member of that stake. I don't see a problem with giving someone with a valid need a list of information, assuming it's approved by the appropriate leader.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Ward Directory and Map”