Primary Rolls missing some names

Discuss basic duties of stake and ward clerks, including where to begin.
BarryHill-p40
Location: Williamsport, PA (Home of the Little League World Series)

Primary Rolls missing some names

Post by BarryHill-p40 »

I have recently been called as Ward Clerk for the 2nd time. The last time was prior to MLS.

When I went to print Primary class rolls, many children were missing even though they met the age criteria for a class, they appeared in none of the Primary class rolls. I was able to add them but I am puzzled as to why some children are picked up automatically while other are not.

Thanks for helping me figure this out.

Barry
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Were you doing a current roll or a future date roll? I've been told there's problems with future dates.

You might also review the settings in MLS for determination primary aged kids. Someone might have been fooling with them, or someone might be mistaken about when kids are supposed to be starting.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Resetting Primary Rolls

Post by aebrown »

BarryHill wrote:When I went to print Primary class rolls, many children were missing even though they met the age criteria for a class, they appeared in none of the Primary class rolls. I was able to add them but I am puzzled as to why some children are picked up automatically while other are not.

I assume that the class membership was fouled up by previoius clerks manually moving children from class to class.

Rather than adding all the children manually, you could also reset the Primary classes. This is done in MLS by going into Organizations, Primary, then scroll to the very bottom to the Reset Classes option. However, note that this will not only reset all the class members to conform to the class membership rules (e.g., Valiant 10 is 9 years old at the beginning of the year), but will also reset all the classes (e.g., if you have split any classes, the split classes will be merged back into the original names for a single class per age group).
BarryHill-p40

Tanks for the Tips

Post by BarryHill-p40 »

Alan it was a roll for the quarter we are in (JAN, FEB, MAR) and it was printed in JAN.

Russell, thanks for the tip. I did go into the individual membership record to see if everything looked as it should and there was (as I recall) a place in there to reset class assignments for the individual. I did this and in some instances it added them and in some it did not.

At this point I have manually added them but I will remember the reset at the bottom of Organizations->Primary. I only have one class I am going to split so it is no big deal and I am anxious to see if it works since it bugs me. Maybe the problem will not reoccur if in fact it was caused by another clerk not understanding the system. I plan to master this if it kills me. I am semi-retired as a network administrator. With some prayer, effort, and some help from this forum, I am confident MLS will not defeat me ;)

Thanks again Brethren
BarryHill-p40

Post by BarryHill-p40 »

Alan it was a roll for the quarter we are in (JAN, FEB, MAR) and it was printed in JAN.

Russell, thanks for the tip. I did go into the individual membership record to see if everything looked as it should and there was (as I recall) a place in there to reset class assignments for the individual. I did this and in some instances it added them and in some it did not.

At this point I have manually added them but I will remember the reset at the bottom of Organizations->Primary. I only have one class I am going to split so it is no big deal and I am anxious to see if it works since it bugs me. Maybe the problem will not reoccur if in fact it was caused by another clerk not understanding the system. I plan to master this if it kills me. I am semi-retired as a network administrator. With some prayer, effort, and some help from this forum, I am confident MLS will not defeat me ;)

Thanks again Brethren
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

We've had isolated problems off and on with primary children being assigned to the wrong class, or mutual age kids assigned to a primary class. I usually fix them by hand when I see them, but I just thought it was a bug in MLS, since it's been happening ever since MLS first came out. Kind of glad to see I wasn't the only one seeing this. I haven't tried a master reset yet, as we have a huge primary with many split classes.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
BarryHill-p40

MAster Reset of Classes

Post by BarryHill-p40 »

I tried a master reset of classes on Sunday School today just to see what it would do since the classes were pretty standard anyway. I was surprised to see that it deleted the teachers positions, dates sustained etc. Fortunately I was updating that info and had it at my finger tips. otherwise I would have been searching for who taught what class, sustained dates etc.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Reset is pretty drastic

Post by aebrown »

BarryHill wrote:I tried a master reset of classes on Sunday School today just to see what it would do since the classes were pretty standard anyway. I was surprised to see that it deleted the teachers positions, dates sustained etc. Fortunately I was updating that info and had it at my finger tips. otherwise I would have been searching for who taught what class, sustained dates etc.

I'm glad that you were able to recover from the reset. In my testing with the MLS test database, it didn't delete any teachers that were associated with the default classes, although it understandably deleted teachers associated with non-default classes, since those classes were deleted. So I'm a bit surprised that it deleted teachers from all your classes.

I do apologize for recommending a possible course of action that had such drastic consequences, and appreciate your gracious response to what must have been a frustrating loss of data. Perhaps the MLS confirmation when you initiate a reset of all the Primary classes should be a bit more explicit in warning you what the effects will be.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Alan_Brown wrote:So I'm a bit surprised that it deleted teachers from all your classes.
Perhaps those classes were not default - which might be why he was having the problem in the first place. But I agree with you, that could have been a unpleasant surprise.
jwnice

missing names

Post by jwnice »

Are you sure that the children that are missing are :child of record"? We recently had some that did not show up. We then found that the Blessing of Child had not been recorded when they lived in a prior ward. When that info was entered in, the children showed up on the proper roll.

Bro Nice
Sandy River Ward
Mt Hood Oregon Stake

Return to “Getting Started for New Clerks”