Geocoding with the new family search API

stuporglue-p40

Geocoding with the new family search API

Post by stuporglue-p40 »

Hello, we're working on a Google Maps / New Family Search mashup, and we need to get the geocodes for each individual in a user's family tree. Brother Clarke said there was a geocoding API, however I can't find any documentation on it.

Does anyone know where I can find information on geocoding?

Thanks,
Michael Moore
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

stuporglue-p40

Nothing on Devnet

Post by stuporglue-p40 »

Yes, I checked devnet. I've got access on that site to see the documentation hosted there, but I don't see anything about geocoding.
JamesAnderson

Post by JamesAnderson »

The present Google mashup works very well, I've seen it during some training I took this week at the Utah Valley FH training center.

If you add information that the system does not already have, the next time you view the map, the new locations are there. It's accurate for the most part as well, I didn't see anything different generally. I found it updates with the new information as I added a death and burial location for an ancestor that the system did not have.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I'm not sure exactly what you are looking for. Perhaps it's the part of the API that deals with places. If you go to labs.familysearch.org, you'll find the standard finder, which will take a place name and convert it to a site ID as well as give alternate names for the same time. However, I think it only codes down to the city level. I don't think it's designed to deal with street addresses and the like, but I could be wrong.
fryercraig-p40

Post by fryercraig-p40 »

I believe that Stuporglue is looking for a way to get the longitude/latitude values of the location or place. This is beneficial when mapping out the location and calculating distances between locations. Does anyone know how this 'geocoding' method can be done?
stuporglue-p40

Post by stuporglue-p40 »

fryercraig wrote:I believe that Stuporglue is looking for a way to get the longitude/latitude values of the location or place. This is beneficial when mapping out the location and calculating distances between locations. Does anyone know how this 'geocoding' method can be done?
That is correct, I had understood that there was a way to get the long/lat for a given individual's event (eg. long/lat of the person's birth).

Return to “Software Development”