Suggestion: Show Home Ward in Stake Information -- Search Stake Membership

Discussions about the Ward Directory and Map tool on churchofjesuschrist.org.
veehb

Suggestion: Show Home Ward in Stake Information -- Search Stake Membership

Post by veehb »

As a stake executive secretary, I'm often asked to contact members of the stake and am only given a name and do not know which ward in which they reside. I go to LDS.org and to "Stake Information" and select "Search Stake Membership". When given a name in the stake (even a last name works) it brings up a listing of those in the stake with that name and you can click on the name and go to their family listing. But, it does not tell you which ward they are in.

Could the ward name be added to either the list of names returned in "Search Stake Membership" or in the family or individual record itself. That information is found in the membership listings in MLS. It would be helpful to see it also in LDS.org.

I find LDS.org to be more and more useful as you add features and as I learn how to use it.

Thanks,

Vee
Bennion Utah East Stake
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

veehb wrote:... it brings up a listing of those in the stake with that name and you can click on the name and go to their family listing. But, it does not tell you which ward they are in.

I agree that this would be a very helpful addition.

One workaround in the meantime: you can click on the "Show on Map" link in the household profile. That will popup a box that contains a link titled "Display in Ward Map". That link "should" take you to that member's ward.

I said "should" because it appears there is a bug in that link. It contains the unit number of the member's ward, but somehow in the recent change to the mapping client, the parameters were not properly adjusted. See the thread "Display on Ward Map" link doesn't work properly for that particular issue.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
ggllbb

Post by ggllbb »

Another possible way to get the number is to use LDS Tools on you smart phone or pad. Select the Stake and you have everyone.
veehb

Post by veehb »

Yes, this works. LDS Tools will tell you the ward when searching members in the stake. But at home I much prefer using LDS.org. Hope this can be added here also.

By the way, I tried the suggestion above to go to the Ward Map and as described in the link it takes me to my home ward, not very useful.

Hope someone can spend some time on this and get the links working right. And will add the members ward to the membership information display. It would be most helpful.

Thanks,
Veehb
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

When you use leader.lds.org member lookup and search for the name, clicking on the name gets you the phone number and unit. That might work with about the same amount of steps. When working online, and while I have access, I prefer that site as my 'dashboard'
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

The use of LDS Tools or Leader Resources are certainly helpful suggestions, but they don't apply to every member. And yet there are clearly cases where a person who is not a leader/clerk or who does not have a mobile device would like to find out which ward a member of their stake lives in. For such people, the Directory on LDS.org is the only online option. The name of the ward is very easily accessible for the part of the application that is displaying a household. It's simply a matter of a little bit of UI redesign to display that piece of information.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
veehb

Post by veehb »

JohnShaw wrote:When you use leader.lds.org member lookup and search for the name, clicking on the name gets you the phone number and unit. That might work with about the same amount of steps. When working online, and while I have access, I prefer that site as my 'dashboard'

Yes, this works and it does give the phone number and unit name. But if I want the address or members of the household, I still need to go back to the directory to see it.

I posted this is late May. I'd hoped to see this simple change implemented by now (Mid July). Guess even simple changes take a long time to implement.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I don't see any evidence that the developers have seen this suggestion.

Such a change would likely come when the next version of the directory is rolled out.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
veehb

Post by veehb »

How do you call the suggestion to their attention? Don't they monitor this forum?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

veehb wrote:How do you call the suggestion to their attention? Don't they monitor this forum?

To some extent, yes. But I noticed no posts by any of them. They may have simply missed it.

The official method is to use the feedback link on the main lds.org website.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Ward Directory and Map”