Way to filter finance reports?

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
aclawson

Way to filter finance reports?

Post by aclawson »

How can I apply filters to the finance reports?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

aclawson wrote:How can I apply filters to the finance reports?
What kind of filters are you talking about? Many finance reports already let you filter by specific or custom date ranges, or to select specific subcategories.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
aclawson

Post by aclawson »

I'm looking for a quick and easy way to see the list of outstanding checks on the register screen.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

In View/Update Expenses click the title box "Status". This will sort the expenses by status. Outstanding checks would have a status of Not Sent, Sent, and Issued. A check that has cleared the bank will have the status of Cleared. The table of definitions for check status as listed in MLS is found HERE.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

aclawson wrote:I'm looking for a quick and easy way to see the list of outstanding checks on the register screen.
By "register screen" I assume you mean "View/Update Expenses." One easy way to see the outstanding checks is to click on the "Status" heading, which will sort all the entries by status. Then you can scroll down to the section of expenses with an "Issued" status -- those are your outstanding checks.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
aclawson

Post by aclawson »

Yes, you can sort them, but that isn't the same as filtering and isn't as fast or efficient. MLS needs some better search functions to make it more user friendly.

And yes, the register screen is the view expenses screen - it has the form and function of a checkbook register.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

aclawson wrote:Yes, you can sort them, but that isn't the same as filtering and isn't as fast or efficient.

It's true that sorting is not the same as filtering, but you seemed to be asking what can be done now, and I think that what JD and I described is the best solution currently available. And although I admire your search for efficiency, I can see the list of outstanding checks in well under 10 seconds right now. Any improvement in speed over that would be insignificant.
aclawson wrote:MLS needs some better search functions to make it more user friendly.

That I'll definitely agree with. The technique of clicking on a column header to sort is easy and quick, but by no means obvious to many people. A means for filtering that is clearly labeled in the UI would be much more user-friendly.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”