Best Way to Email Organizations?

Discuss basic duties of stake and ward clerks, including where to begin.
pvanbeever

Best Way to Email Organizations?

Post by pvanbeever »

I'd like to email members to keep information accurate via an address book broken down to organizations and be able to sort by active/inactive members. For instance I imagine adding email addresses to elders quorum manually, or relief society, and removing them manually can't be the most efficient way.
Is there a way to have a dynamic email lis of all active current members that updates itself based on the ward directory or mls and by organizations so that when I want to send individual emails to the elders quorum my address book is always accurate. Does this exist already for Bishops and Stake presidents or is everyone still manually making their own lists?
Any advice would be helpful, I am new at this.

Thanks!
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

MLS and the online directory are tied together. Or rather MLS provides the data for the directory and some information such as e-mail addresses and phone numbers can be updated in the directory which then updates MLS. For e-mail addresses and telephone numbers changes can be made either in MLS or the online directory. Having this feature in the online directory permits members to maintain their information without having to contact a clerk. If members are aware of this feature they can then take the responsibility to keep their record up to date at any time.
pvanbeever wrote:I'd like to email members to keep information accurate via an address book broken down to organizations and be able to sort by active/inactive members.
The online directory organizes members into organizations. However, if members do not provide an e-mail address or if they have set the view option to "Private - leadership only" then the directory becomes less useful as the number of members increases who do not provide that for inclusion in MLS or the online directory or set the view option to private.

There is no capability for members or households to be tagged as active or inactive in the directory. Even in MLS this is a challenge. A definition and paramaters of inactive must be first established and then the custom fields could be used. Even then there is a great deal of manual entries that must be kept up to date on a regular basis.
pvanbeever wrote:For instance I imagine adding email addresses to elders quorum manually, or relief society, and removing them manually can't be the most efficient way.
Each of the organizations mentioned have e-mail groups in the online directory. If members keep their information up to date and do not have the view option set to private then this is effective for e-mailing unit organization members.
pvanbeever wrote:Is there a way to have a dynamic email lis of all active current members that updates itself based on the ward directory or mls and by organizations so that when I want to send individual emails to the elders quorum my address book is always accurate. Does this exist already for Bishops and Stake presidents or is everyone still manually making their own lists?
I don't know what your definition of a dynamic e-mail list is. But the online directory is about as dynamic as any list can be as long as the members keep their information up to date.

The organization lists are viewed by selecting "Ward Organizations" in the left column of the directory. Select the organization in the middle, or "Filter Results", column. To e-mail the organization members click the "Email all [organization name]" link just under the organization name in the right column of the directory page. The link opens the registered e-mail client or web service on your computer with the members with public e-mail addresses in the Bcc (blind carbon copy) field of a blank new message.

The organizations available for e-mailing members are High Priests, Elders, Relief Society, Priests, Teachers, Deacons, Laurels, Mia Maids, Behives, Adults. If you have a group you need to e-mail that is not among those listed you will have to do the manual thing and create your own.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
ecotim

Post by ecotim »

To add, if I think what pvanbeever was also asking, that when people move into your ward if they have an email associated with their membership it will automatically be added to the groups in LDS.ORg mailing function. My problem in my ward is getting 'active' members to register and allow their email to be used. I found out that the Primary President has a family email address associated with her husband. I told her that if she did not put it in her profile that if we use the email function for a blast she would not get it. There is a lot of powerful tools available if all the 'active' members would take advantage of them. I love all the things that I can do on-line now.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

ecotim wrote:To add, if I think what pvanbeever was also asking, that when people move into your ward if they have an email associated with their membership it will automatically be added to the groups in LDS.ORg mailing function.
A member's e-mail and phone number follows them when they move. It is part of their record. If either change after the move then the member may either make the change at the online directory or contact a ward clerk for them to make the change in MLS. Ward clerks or any administrator can also update an e-mail address or phone number at the online directory. Ward clerks and the bishop have an additional option to change contact information online through the LDS.org Leader and Clerk Resources. Changes made online flow back to MLS to update it.

Another feature of the online directory of which members need to be aware is the visibility setting, or privacy, for the household as well as phone, e-mail ,and photos for individuals. The visibility setting of an e-mail,phone number, or photo determines who is able to see that data. The household visibility setting will supersede or override personal visibility settings if the household setting is more restrictive.

Note there is an e-mail address, phone number, and photo for the household as well as for each individual.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
pvanbeever

Thank you

Post by pvanbeever »

This helped a lot and gives me a good solution to what I was trying to do.

Return to “Getting Started for New Clerks”