Is there a way to provide feedback on captions in the temple?

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
williamjackson

Is there a way to provide feedback on captions in the temple?

Post by williamjackson »

In a recent visit to the temple my wife and I noticed the captions, which we always request be turned on, had been changed from ALL CAPS to a different typeface that included normal, lower-case letters. That's fine, but we also observed several problems: missing words and corrupt lines, mostly.

After the session, I spoke with one of the temple workers about it, and he said they really couldn't do anything about it because they receive the material from Church Headquarters.

Does anyone know how to get these concerns to the people that can fix them?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

subtlecoolness wrote:In a recent visit to the temple my wife and I noticed the captions, which we always request be turned on, had been changed from ALL CAPS to a different typeface that included normal, lower-case letters. That's fine, but we also observed several problems: missing words and corrupt lines, mostly.

Hmmm. I wonder if the all caps is a video with the captions in it while the latter was the regular video with closed captioning turned on. CC can have some significant data errors if the signal isn't perfect. (I find it hard to believe that the film was released with those errors.) If this is your regular temple, I'd suggest asking around about the difference in what you have seen.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

RussellHltn wrote:Hmmm. I wonder if the all caps is a video with the captions in it while the latter was the regular video with closed captioning turned on.

They are the same thing in our location. A second TV displays the regular video with CC turned on.

What the worker said is correct. They receive the material and display it. If the worker was not going to follow up, I would suggest a call to the Temple Department explaining what happened and indicating there was a problem that the worker thought could not be fixed locally.

I agree with Russell that it would be surprising that there were errors in the original material, but this may be a case of a corrupted data file along the way, at either end of the trail. In many newer locations, everything is computer driven now.

Return to “General Discussions”