What to do

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
larq

What to do

Post by larq »

or What should I do?

I have read most of the policies and guidelines about secondary computers in clerks offices and about commercial software and several other non compliance issues.

Understand I am only a couple months into this STS calling and just about every computer in the stake has MS office or calender creator or MS streets, not to mention Itunes and large amounts of downloads. I have also found things like spybot and those machines wont update sophos at all. Yes I can fix these issues, will I be stepping on toes, probably. My predecessor (acting STS, but not really) says he was told by FM that he could re-purpose retired clerk PC's

Not one clerk has a box with a COA or receipt for anything.

What do I do about the extra clerk PC's? All still have MLS on them.
What do I do about all the EXTRA software?
A couple don't even have sophos, and they do have MLS.
Two different wards have a linksys switch plugged in and hidden so that the second PC will have internet.

I don't want to be the bad guy, but if this was happening in my business people would be fired, because they know its wrong.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

I would suggest scheduling a meeting with your stake president and go over the above list, along with a detailed course of action you wish to implement. Only after receiving his blessing, begin setting about cleaning house one computer at a time. If anyone complains or objects, simply let them know they are welcome to take it up with the stake president.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Mikerowaved wrote:I would suggest scheduling a meeting with your stake president and go over the above list, along with a detailed course of action you wish to implement. Only after receiving his blessing, begin setting about cleaning house one computer at a time. If anyone complains or objects, simply let them know they are welcome to take it up with the stake president.

That's my suggestion as well. Keep in mind that the church goes by what's strictly legal. Not what can be gotten away with, even if it is done by everyone else.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

I'll add my 2 cents in affirming Mikerowaved's post.

When I was called as an STS I diligently found and became familiar with all guidelines and instructions. I presented my observations of compliance to the stake president along with my recommendations. After counseling with the stake president I sent out an e-mail to all bishops and branch presidents informing them I would be returning administrative computers to compliance specifications and what those specifications were. While there were some disagreements about what could and could not be installed on a computer or what computer configurations were acceptable, the support of the stake president made the whole process less painful.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jdlessley wrote:I would be returning administrative computers to compliance specifications and what those specifications were.
Excellent suggestion. Forwarding a copy of the appropriate documentation, perhaps with some highlighting (or a list of bullet point with "source" information) would likely set the expectations as to what would happen. I like to manage expectations, as it makes my job much easier.

With any luck, you may find some of the issues have fixed themselves when you get there. (Appropriate licensing, etc.)
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

MerrillDL

Post by MerrillDL »

I'll add my 2cents too . . .

The STS is an Assistant Stake Clerk. The Stake Clerk should be invited to the meeting with the Stake President and STS. The best way to keep this in perspective is with any project, to consider the ecclesiastical stewardship for anything you will be touching. Communicate with anyone who will be affected by your proposals. Explain what you currently see that is out of compliance, review the policies and encourage feedback.

I always feel it is important to remind people we are stewards over property that belongs to Heavenly Father's Church. We should take care of it and only use it in ways that will help to prepare for the 2nd coming. The clerk's computer should not be used for anything other than its intended purpose. Extra computers should be immediately returned to the FM. The STS will wipe the hard drive and notify the FM to come pick the computers up. They will follow church policy to dispose of these computers.

Unlicensed software is a huge liability to the Church. I would make this a top priority and focus on removing unlicensed software first. If anyone insists they must have Microsoft Office, direct them to OpenOffice.org. This is nearly 100% compatible with MS Office and is allowed on MLS Computers.

The only authorized anti-virus, anti-malware program is Sophos. All others can be deleted. Having multiple registry scanners or anti-virus programs running and scanning at the same time can seriously compromise computer performance.

The Linksys routers or switches that are connected are not 'forbidden' any church policy. The recommendation is only that any information required for managing the devices is given to the STS or Stake Clerk. Day-to-day support for the linksys or like devices falls to the person who installed and configured it.
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

MerrillDL wrote:I'll add my 2cents too . . .

Unlicensed software is a huge liability to the Church. I would make this a top priority and focus on removing unlicensed software first. If anyone insists they must have Microsoft Office, direct them to OpenOffice.org. This is nearly 100% compatible with MS Office and is allowed on MLS Computers.
The recommended Microsoft Office substitute is now LibreOffice, downloadable from http://www.lds.org/mls Under the Additional Local Unit Software link. Change happened around early June this year. This is supposed to be even more Office compatible, than OpenOffice.
rolandc

Post by rolandc »

Links to Policies for these issues?

I have read the Clerk PC policy and FHC policy 2009 2008 respectively? Anything newer? Someone please point out where it says a clerk pc replace by FM. And what to do with the old one. Just making sure I have read the right docs.
sammythesm

Post by sammythesm »

+1 on MerrillDL's comment.

Clearly you have some policy issues that need to be addressed right away (unlicensed software) - but as he well-states - remember that you are serving our Heavenly Father through serving the needs of the clerks and bishoprics in the wards. I've always found if I approach people through that vein - "how can we enable you in your calling while still adhering to church policies?" - a solution to their need can often be found. It requires more communication - not just clubbing people over the head with policy and telling them no. But if you go the extra mile you'll be everyone's favorite STS because - not only will everything work well - but they'll know it is the way it is and feel empowered to do their calling with that information.

Good luck in your calling!
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

rolandc wrote:Someone please point out where it says a clerk pc replace by FM. And what to do with the old one.

Typically that comes though the FM group. Not sure why yours did not follow policy. But if you watch the LDSTech broadcast on Clerk Computers, I think you'll find that direction. My notes say "Can not repurpose old computers. If it winds up in the trash, the church could be in trouble."

Return to “Clerk Computers”