Out of Unit Leader Photos

Discussions about the Ward Directory and Map tool on churchofjesuschrist.org.
CSnelson

Out of Unit Leader Photos

Post by CSnelson »

With the new LDS Tools app I'm able to take photos of members/leaders of the Stake and have them uploaded right?

How can I get photos of our YSA Stake Leadership uploaded to the Directory so that Members of the Stake can see them?
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

Out of unit leaders need to have their photos uploaded either by themselves or by an administrator in their home ward.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

jdlessley wrote:Out of unit leaders need to have their photos uploaded either by themselves or by an administrator in their home ward.
And if they are uploaded by themselves, they have to be approved by an administrator in their home ward before they will be visible.
CSnelson

Post by CSnelson »

They are out of unit members so no information from their home ward is synced with the Unit that they are serving in. Any information that is in our YSA Stake Directory for Out of Unit Members I've manually put in. In fact if I print a IOS for one of the Out of Unit Leaders it shows the Stake as their Ward so I don't know who or how to approve the photo taken for our directory . . .
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

A proper out-of-unit member will have a MRN in their record. They only way these leaders can get access is if they have a MRN. The MRN connects them to their home ward at the lds.org level (but not the MLS level).
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
CSnelson

Post by CSnelson »

Yes they have their MRN in their out of unit record but when I login for example the Stake Presidents photo isn't shown but when he logs into his home ward directory it's there . . .
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

CSnelson wrote: but when he logs into his home ward directory it's there . . .
Has it been approved? What privacy settings have be set on it?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
cognifloyd

Post by cognifloyd »

I'm in a YSA Stake. I serve as an assistant stake clerk.

I used lds.org/leader to go through each ward in my stake and see what each leader's home ward is. It will list a unit name and number.

Then I go to cdol.lds.org and search for that unit number which gives me the Ward Clerk's contact information for each of the 57 out-of-unit leaders in our stake. Some of them are in the same wards, which is nice, so there aren't 57 home wards to contact--it's more like 50.

I added all of that information to a spreadsheet where I'm keeping track of which leaders I've taken pictures of, which leaders I've helped upload their photos to the online directory, and which photos are actually visible in the online directory (and if they are visible in the online directory, they should be pushed to the LDSTools app as well.)

The next thing I have to do is contact all of these Home Ward Clerks and train them on how to login to lds.org, how to access the directory, and how to approve photos. Once I've trained them on how to do that, they will finally be able to approve the photo of the member in their ward who is serving as an out-of-unit leader in my stake.

I've been procrastinating doing all of this in the hopes that someone would finally make the directory let leaders approve their own photos. But it seems my hope has been in vain, so, I'll begin the long process of training leaders across the valley.

If anyone's got an idea on how to do this better, I'm all ears.
cognifloyd

Post by cognifloyd »

CSnelson wrote:Yes they have their MRN in their out of unit record but when I login for example the Stake Presidents photo isn't shown but when he logs into his home ward directory it's there . . .

When a member uploads a photo, they can always see their photo whether it has been approved or not. No one else, however, can see the photo they uploaded until it has been approved by a leader in their Home Ward. I use this feature to ensure that the photo was actually uploaded for each and every leader that I've been helping upload photos to lds.org/directory
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

cognifloyd wrote:The next thing I have to do is contact all of these Home Ward Clerks and train them on how to login to lds.org, how to access the directory, and how to approve photos. Once I've trained them on how to do that, they will finally be able to approve the photo of the member in their ward who is serving as an out-of-unit leader in my stake.

One idea that could simplify your task is to leverage the power of the stakes. You are an assistant stake clerk, and you take responsibility to help train all the ward clerks in your stake. Similarly, each stake that has members serving in your stake has a stake clerk with assistants, all of whom have a responsibility to train their ward clerks. That way you'd only have to deal with perhaps 10 stake clerks instead of 50 ward clerks.

It's certainly possible that some of those stake clerks won't take your request seriously, but hopefully most of them will realize the value of having photos for their own stake members, and can expedite your request to get photos for a few of their members approved promptly.
cognifloyd wrote:I've been procrastinating doing all of this in the hopes that someone would finally make the directory let leaders approve their own photos. But it seems my hope has been in vain, so, I'll begin the long process of training leaders across the valley.

The problem, of course, is that these people are not leaders in the ward that has responsibility for approving the photos (their home ward); if they were leaders there, they could already approve the photos. So I think your hope is indeed in vain (or at least a very low priority).
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.

Return to “Ward Directory and Map”