Screen Shots for Picture Upload

Discussions about the Ward Directory and Map tool on churchofjesuschrist.org.
mlh78

Screen Shots for Picture Upload

Post by mlh78 »

Our stake is making a major push to get member photos uploaded. It would be helpful if a document with screen shots were available that leadership in our wards could use to walk members through the process. I have seen similar tools for other aspects of lds.org, but cannot find one for this process. It would also be great if we had one for uploading via the LDS Tools mobile app. If anyone can point me to an existing resource, that would be great.
nathangg

Post by nathangg »

mlh78 wrote:It would also be great if we had one for uploading via the LDS Tools mobile app. If anyone can point me to an existing resource, that would be great.
This works now... anyone can upload pictures for anyone else (but pictures still have to be approved).
mlh78

Post by mlh78 »

nathangg wrote:This works now... anyone can upload pictures for anyone else (but pictures still have to be approved).
Yes, I was aware of this. I was asking about whether there is a document to show how to upload via either lds.org or LDS Tools.
MerrillDL

Post by MerrillDL »

I found this on the Tech Wiki a couple of months ago but can't find it now. I think it will go a long way in answering your question.
Attachments
Directoryqrg.pdf
(424.26 KiB) Downloaded 217 times
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

MerrillDL wrote:I found this on the Tech Wiki a couple of months ago but can't find it now. I think it will go a long way in answering your question.
That is the Getting Started Guide for the Directory, found on the wiki under LDS.org getting started guides.

The process for uploading and approving photos is covered in considerable detail at Managing the directory (Directory).
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
mlh78

Post by mlh78 »

aebrown wrote:The process for uploading and approving photos is covered in considerable detail at Managing the directory (Directory).
The wiki page is a great resource for clerks, unfortunately it would not be all that helpful as a document to give to members to assist them in putting up their own pictures. What I was hoping to discover was a document of similar style to the document posted by MerrillDL, but outlining the process for member photo uploads.
nathangg

Post by nathangg »

mlh78 wrote:What I was hoping to discover was a document of similar style to the document posted by MerrillDL, but outlining the process for member photo uploads.

I don't mean to sound terse or not kind (I wish tone could be conveyed better)... the thought that comes to mind is, "Maybe you could write one?"

I've used "Jing" to create screenshots with arrows (and appropriately placed text boxes to hide personal information). Maybe you could create a doc that showed the process?
adoga

Post by adoga »

I've been trying to find something like this too. has anyone written one yet?
tomjoht

Post by tomjoht »

A quick reference guide on uploading photos to the directory sounds like a good idea. Let me see what I can come up with this afternoon on this topic.

I plan to stress several points in the guide:

* If you have an iPhone, you can upload your picture to the directory directly from your mobile device.
* Uploading a photo does not mean anyone can see the uploaded photo, even if it appears fine to you. An admin must go in and approve it. (We're working on adding a watermark of some kind to photos that aren't yet approved.)
* Admins should not upload photos on behalf of members. This violates information privacy and is prohibited in many countries. So printing off a document that members can follow to upload pics for themselves would be best.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

johnsonth wrote:* Admins should not upload photos on behalf of members. This violates information privacy and is prohibited in many countries. So printing off a document that members can follow to upload pics for themselves would be best.

Really? I understand that there are privacy laws in some countries that would apply, and of course we need to respect those. But in the US, there are no laws that absolutely prohibit this practice. If a member gives their permission, an admin can certainly upload the photo.

If the Church takes an absolute stand that admins should not upload photos on behalf of members, the result will be a small fraction of participation that we are seeing in many wards right now. I've seen wards try to encourage members to upload photos, and that may get 10-20% if you're lucky. I've also seen wards get someone with a camera to take pictures and (with members' permission of course) upload those to the directory. I've seen that approach get 60-70% of the members of a ward with photos.

Let's respect the laws, but creating policies that are more restrictive than the laws will greatly limit the chance of success.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.

Return to “Ward Directory and Map”