MLS: Nursury Class, age of children

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
adoga

MLS: Nursury Class, age of children

Post by adoga »

From what i understand, the Nursury is automatically populated in MLS with children who are age 1-2. However, children aren't supposed to be members of nursury until they're 1.5 years old.

When trying to add a new class, it only allows a whole number to be entered into the age--not 1.5 or 18 months. Is there a workaround or does each child need to be added manually whenever they turn 1.5 years old?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

adoga wrote:From what i understand, the Nursury is automatically populated in MLS with children who are age 1-2. However, children aren't supposed to be members of nursury until they're 1.5 years old.
Where did you hear that "age 1-2" are included? That's not true; the built-in Nursery class does indeed automatically move children into the class when they turn 18 months old.
adoga wrote:When trying to add a new class, it only allows a whole number to be entered into the age--not 1.5 or 18 months. Is there a workaround or does each child need to be added manually whenever they turn 1.5 years old?
If you use the built-in class, you won't have any problems. But you're right that if you try to create a custom class, you don't have any way to specify an age of 1.5. Other than your assumption that the built-in class isn't set up correctly (but it is correct), is there a reason you think you need to have a custom Nursery class?
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
adoga

Post by adoga »

Oh, then the previous clerk must have created it as a custom class. How do I revert to the built-in nursury without resetting ALL classes?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

adoga wrote:Oh, then the previous clerk must have created it as a custom class. How do I revert to the built-in nursury without resetting ALL classes?
If the built-in Nursery class has been deleted and replaced by a custom class, I don't know of any way to get it back other than the "reset classes" option. If you don't have any custom or split classes, the "reset classes" option won't be a big problem, but if you have many of those, it will be a big hassle to recreate those classes with the right rules and the right members.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
adoga

Post by adoga »

yeah, several are split. i'll have to schedule this one in. Thanks for your help!
adoga

Post by adoga »

Out of curiosity, what does a Non-Custom "Nursury" class look like when you edit it? Does it have the ages 1-3? Does it look like this?
Screenshot nursury.jpg
Screenshot nursury.jpg (13.85 KiB) Viewed 1015 times
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

adoga wrote:Out of curiosity, what does a Non-Custom "Nursury" class look like when you edit it? Does it have the ages 1-3? Does it look like this?
It does look exactly like that. Of course, a custom Nursery class could look exactly the same. I don't know how to distinguish them by looking at the class. The way I would figure out if it is built-in or custom is to:
  1. Find a child that is between 12 and 18 months in age
  2. Go to that child's Individual Membership Record.
  3. On the Individual tab (the first tab) there is an "Organizations Member is Assigned to" section.
  4. Click the "Reset Organization for Member" link.
If it's the built-in Nursery class, then the child will not be in the class. If it's a custom class, the child will be in it.
adoga

Post by adoga »

good tip. Thanks!

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”