Manuals (and other content) won't download

Discussions around the iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch versions of the Gospel Library application.
mevans

Manuals (and other content) won't download

Post by mevans »

Yesterday at church I tried downloading a manual that I thought I already had installed on my iPhone 4S. Well, it shows it's downloading the manual, but it never finishes. It just continues to show the spinning icon and say "Downloading" but it never finishes.

I have a WiFi connection and these are small manuals (like .2MB). The scriptures, which are considerably larger, downloaded very quickly for me several months ago when I installed them.

I thought maybe the lds downloads were being hit heavy on Sunday, so I tried Sunday evening from home and it still didn't work. Now today (Monday) I'm trying it during the day. I first tried "remove all" from the Manuals section so I could start over. However, the manuals still won't finish downloading.

I've also tried other downloads, such as the Ensign, and nothing appears to be successfully downloading for me anymore.

Any idea what I need to do to get something to download?
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

mevans wrote:It just continues to show the spinning icon and say "Downloading" but it never finishes.

Every time this has happened to me recently, it is because I had more than one window running in Gospel Library. Make sure you have closed all of the extra windows and are operating from a single window with nothing else going on. (I know, it really cramps your style if you are using multiple windows.)

I keep forgetting this, because I usually have more than one window running, and you cannot tell from one window if you have any others open or not.

So I forget. And then I try to download the latest Ensign and my life spins away. Comes with age, I suppose.

I also keep forgetting to send a request in to ask for a reminder so that if you have multiple windows open the program will warn you before letting you enter the Manage Library function.
mevans

Post by mevans »

Thanks for the suggestion. I checked. I only have one window open and it still won't download. I'm close to uninstalling the app and reinstalling to see if that makes it work.
DNCharmbury

Here is the answer!

Post by DNCharmbury »

Hi, had same problems and this worked for me:

1. Double click square button centre bottom of your device, a number of app icons will appear at the bottom of the screen;
2. Press and hold the first one until crosses appear;
3. Delete each one at the bottom only, don't worry, this doesn't delete the apps!
4. Go back into gospel library and download - hey presto!

Good luck.
ryancgarrett

Post by ryancgarrett »

I'm having the same problem on my iPad. I've tried closing all windows, all other apps and even restarting the Gospel Library app to no avail. Does anyone have any other suggestions before I uninstall the app.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

ryancgarrett wrote:I'm having the same problem on my iPad. I've tried closing all windows, all other apps and even restarting the Gospel Library app to no avail. Does anyone have any other suggestions before I uninstall the app.

It sounds as if your next step is to delete and reinstall the app, sorry.
mevans

Post by mevans »

dncharmbury: thanks for your suggestion. Unfortunately I didn't get to try it. I had already given up and deleted and reinstalled the app before I saw your suggestion. Fortunately, that solved the problem and now things download almost instantly.

ryancgarrett: why not try dncharmbury's suggestion before you go with the complete reinstall to see if it works. Otherwise, delete and reinstall. That solved my problems.

Return to “iPhone/iPad Gospel Library”