Firewall blocking issues

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
lewiswf1

Firewall blocking issues

Post by lewiswf1 »

Who can I call to get help on internet firewall blocking issues in one of my ward houses. Issue at hand is that http://skydrive.live.com is blocked on the current router in only some of our buildings, the firewall doesn't play back the typical blocked message and many of our bishops use this site for sharing files for meetings.

I need to find a way to unblock skydrive for our bishops, who can help me with the routers in my buildings? Is there a phone number for networking support?

Thanks,
Wayne:p
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
bfromm

Post by bfromm »

lewiswf1 wrote:Issue at hand is that http://skydrive.live.com is blocked on the current router in only some of our buildings
As an FYI, I can currently get to that site through an 881w which is good news in the long run since you'll eventually get that router. If you have an older firewall (not an 881w), the GSC can change the filter policy to be the same as the 881w with the permission of your stake president. The STS should be the one to call the GSC.
lewiswf1

Post by lewiswf1 »

Is there a form or something that the stake president needs to fill out for the exception? Thanks for every ones info.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I don't believe they grant exceptions on a per-unit basis. I think your best hope is that some allow access, so the question is why are they different and how to get them all the same.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
bfromm

Post by bfromm »

lewiswf1 wrote:Is there a form or something that the stake president needs to fill out for the exception? Thanks for every ones info.

There's not a form or anything you need to fill out. The key is making sure the stake president understands what's happening so he can approve or deny the request. He's ultimately responsible for the technology in the stake, so make sure he's educated on what's happening. When you call in to request the change, let the person helping you know that you've discussed the issue with the stake president and have approval to make the change (assuming that's the case).
jpapke

Post by jpapke »

This last post seems to indicate that if there is a specific app that needs firewall modification to allow it to work (e.g. Ward Tools) we can call GSC and make a specific request and the stake president will be allowed to approve or deny the request. Is this the correct understanding? We would like to get Ward Tools working again but I have not been successful yet.
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

jpapke wrote:This last post seems to indicate that if there is a specific app that needs firewall modification to allow it to work (e.g. Ward Tools) we can call GSC and make a specific request and the stake president will be allowed to approve or deny the request. Is this the correct understanding? We would like to get Ward Tools working again but I have not been successful yet.
I found that Sophos was the culprit in blocking Ward Tools. This thread is more orientated towards the firewall (scripts?) blocking certain website access.

See this post in the forum regarding Sophos and Ward Tools. https://tech.lds.org/forum/showthread.p ... #post62747
Jonahhex

Post by Jonahhex »

If you are getting a page that says something like "This page is filtered due to Church Policy" you are on the filter setting that the Stake President has authorized. If you call the GSC we can check if you have an option with filtering (most meetinghouses don't) and contact the Stake Pres. and have changes approved or declined. This should be handled by the STS and is not a job for clerks or members to request.
Keeping the Church Communication Network working
Tim Johnson - GSC - Connectivity

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”