Extra computer in office, can we set it up and install MLS?

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
adoga

Extra computer in office, can we set it up and install MLS?

Post by adoga »

I can't find the answer myself so pardon my ignorance. We have an extra dell PC in our clerk's office that is not hooked up. The clerks/bishopric are often battling over the PC that is working for membership records/tithing updates etc.

Is it permitted for us to setup the second computer on the MLS? If so, is it possible to share the same MLS data on the secondary PC? Then, where can I find the policy/procedures for doing so?

We have wi-fi and I have the technical experience to complete the tasks needed. I just need to know what's actually "allowed" and the "correct" way to do so.

This would be a HUGE help so please point me in the right direction if you know any of these answers. Thanks!
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

In a word, no.

You may want to read Running a second copy of MLS in adjacent room in church building and Second Installation of MLS for details.

I'd also wonder where that extra Dell PC came from. The church no longer accepts donations for running admin functions. If it was a old unit computer, then it should have been turned into the FM group for disposal.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
adoga

Post by adoga »

RussellHltn wrote:In a word, no.

You may want to read Running a second copy of MLS in adjacent room in church building and Second Installation of MLS for details.

I'd also wonder where that extra Dell PC came from. The church no longer accepts donations for running admin functions. If it was a old unit computer, then it should have been turned into the FM group for disposal.

It's probably an old unit computer that wasn't returned. That's too bad about the 1-pc rule. It would be such a helpful tool to have two but we'll survive. Thanks for the info.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

adoga wrote:That's too bad about the 1-pc rule. It would be such a helpful tool to have two but we'll survive. Thanks for the info.

It's not just a policy -- when you read those threads that RussellHltn linked to, you'll see that there are real technical challenges with attempting this, even if it were allowed.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
adoga

Post by adoga »

I meant that it's too bad it's not possible--too bad that there's not a way to make it work technology-wise without breaking something. Those posts were very helpful and almost identical to my question so thanks.
sammythesm

Post by sammythesm »

If the computer is indeed legit (doesn't need to be returned to FM), why not set it up like you thought - just without MLS. Have it available for leaders who can accomplish their tasks via LDS.org's MLS functions - they can view membership records, print lists, etc - or for those who need to write a quick word doc or print an article from LDS.org. Those functions are the ones that usually drive the clerk batty as he keeps getting interrupted on Sundays for such computer use that doesn't even require MLS.
adoga

Post by adoga »

RussellHltn wrote: I'd also wonder where that extra Dell PC came from. The church no longer accepts donations for running admin functions. If it was a old unit computer, then it should have been turned into the FM group for disposal.
Russell,

Can you point me in the right direction to getting this computer returned? It's been sitting there for a while and nobody knows what to do. I can't find anything on the FM group.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

The stake facilities rep should be able to get you in contact with the right FM group.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Clerk Computers”