How to handle vehicle fuel for Welfare recipents.

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
Gary_Miller

How to handle vehicle fuel for Welfare recipents.

Post by Gary_Miller »

Looking to find out how others purchase vehicle fuel for welfare recipents.

Currently the RS Pres is purchasing gas cards with her own cash and getting reimbursed after the fact. How ever its getting hard for her to float the cash, as well as there has to be a better way.

I would like to know how others are handling this type of expense, as well as anyother suggestions on how to do this.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

Gary_Miller wrote:Looking to find out how others purchase vehicle fuel for welfare recipents.

Currently the RS Pres is purchasing gas cards with her own cash and getting reimbursed after the fact. How ever its getting hard for her to float the cash, as well as there has to be a better way.

I would like to know how others are handling this type of expense, as well as anyother suggestions on how to do this.
If this is an ongoing need, it seems like someone could find a vendor that will allow you to purchase them with a check. Then the ward could issue a check to that vendor, and the RS president or a clerk or someone else could purchase the card with the check. That requires a bit of preparation and lead time, but it could be done fairly quickly.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
gingus

Post by gingus »

We just have someone in the Bishopric buy the cards on their credit card and the card has a 30 day grace period before the bill is due. So, there isn't a problem for them having to float the cash. Also, buying them ahead of time and paying the vendor directly is also a good idea.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

In many years as Ward Clerk, we have never had this scenario that I can recall. The past couple of Bishops I have served under would try to pay things like utility bills, food, or rent payments and have the members manage their own gas money.

I'm not saying there is anythine wrong with what is being proposed above, but just that there may be other ways to provide assistance and still leave auto fuel (which can sometimes be a discretionary expense) fully within the control of the member.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”