Web Service for automation at the Stake Level

Support and Announcements for the Tech Java Web Application Platform (setup, configuration, bugs, feedback).
johnshaw

Web Service for automation at the Stake Level

Post by johnshaw »

I didn't know where else this makes sense to post, so it landed here. I'm looking for a web service available with the contents of the online Directory. I would like to build some automation into some spreadsheets, or databases using some xml queries (validated by LDS Account) to produce documentation.

for example

In our stake, we have a process (like every other stake's unique process) for submitting names for consideration by the stake presidency. MP Advancements, and stake level callings. To do this we built a Google Form that automatically populates a Google Spreadsheet. We would love to add some information to it automatically rather than force a Bishop to enter it all in manually. Information like Current Calling for the proposed, how long each have been in their callings, etc... All this data is potentially available either through the same area as leader.lds.org or through the online directory (with less granular data).

Is this something the church has out there available for use?
RossEvans

Post by RossEvans »

JohnShaw wrote:I didn't know where else this makes sense to post, so it landed here. I'm looking for a web service available with the contents of the online Directory. I would like to build some automation into some spreadsheets, or databases using some xml queries (validated by LDS Account) to produce documentation.

for example

In our stake, we have a process (like every other stake's unique process) for submitting names for consideration by the stake presidency. MP Advancements, and stake level callings. To do this we built a Google Form that automatically populates a Google Spreadsheet. We would love to add some information to it automatically rather than force a Bishop to enter it all in manually. Information like Current Calling for the proposed, how long each have been in their callings, etc... All this data is potentially available either through the same area as leader.lds.org or through the online directory (with less granular data).

Is this something the church has out there available for use?
The web services are only available for projects that are approved and directed by CHQ, per comments here by church IT management. The web services are not available for local leaders to build custom applications outside the headquarters tent. However, you might see if the data you require is available in the local MLS export files, or in a custom report exported from MLS. Some folks might still object to uploading that data to Google Docs, however.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

Thanks Ross, I sorta figured as much, but in my research this morning I didn't see anything that stated it outright.... We are keeping a close eye on Personally identifiable information when considering our design.
RossEvans

Post by RossEvans »

JohnShaw wrote:We are keeping a close eye on Personally identifiable information when considering our design.

The most official guidance I recall about Google Docs and similar services was in a training video a few months ago from the Presiding Bishop. As I recall the counsel to local leaders was if they use such services to share files, they should not include "confidential" information. (I saw the link to the video here, but I can't find it.) I am not going to interpret that guidance here, but I think your stake president can do so.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

last word received, well stated, thanks for the reminder again.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

RossEvans wrote:The most official guidance I recall about Google Docs and similar services was in a training video a few months ago from the Presiding Bishop. As I recall the counsel to local leaders was if they use such services to share files, they should not include "confidential" information. (I saw the link to the video here, but I can't find it.) I am not going to interpret that guidance here, but I think your stake president can do so.
The training is here, and the information you noted is on slide 14.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

It seems that there could be a fairly easy resolution to this issue.... provide units a place that is approved for use, document sharing and collaboration. Wouldn't be much of a challenge, it appears, to use a technology like the what currently runs this wiki/forum - or something similar. It seems that putting out policy statements is good and it helps units do their best to balance the needs they have with the confidential nature of some information, and the private nature of other information. I would like to see, along with statements and training on what NOT to do, that it is accompanied with training on what kinds of things can be done... or eliminate it all together and put in place a solution that incorporates the LDS Account, with roles assigned through MLS Positions.

Return to “Java Web Project Support (Stack)”