800-LDS-FIND toll-free hotline and/or web site

So you have the BIG idea that the Church or community needs to develop. Discuss that idea here. Maybe you just want to make a suggestion on a new forum topic. Let us know.
toddwarrenbeck

800-LDS-FIND toll-free hotline and/or web site

Post by toddwarrenbeck »

New to the forum so sorry if this is a repeat.

In our neck of the woods a hurricane could easily displace half the stake. We've got reasonably sophisticated plans in place to rebuild, but one big gap will be the ability to track which members are safe and sound somewhere far from home. Evacuees are often stuck for days away, and in Katrina many stayed away long-term.

Would the Church consider a toll-free hotline, a permanent number and/or web site a member could contact to formally let the Church know where he or she is, and in what condition? Post-disaster that would be very useful. And even day-to-day when somebody moves, they could call the number or go to the web site to update their current contact information.

If it were a permanent number (1-800-LDS-FIND) we could publicize it in advance of any disaster, instructing members to check in as soon as possible so we can know who still needs help.

If admin were centralized, then it wouldn't fail when the stake is without power or communication. (Impact to power and phones is so strangely hit and miss that we never know which houses will remain on.)
WelchTC

Post by WelchTC »

I think that is an interesting concept. How do you police it so that people don't abuse it?

Tom
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

When emergency temporary shelters are setup (over 1100 in Katrina's case), the Red Cross works furiously to record the identities of all evacuees. This information is made available to government leaders and eventually, those in the general public with a need to know. For large scale disasters, the Red Cross will usually setup a phone bank (like you are describing) for people to call to locate family members. Although I can't speak for the Church, I'm not sure duplicating this effort would be in their best interest, especially during the time they are engaged in providing emergency relief to the remaining victims.

Just my 2c.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
The_Earl

Luws?

Post by The_Earl »

This might work w/ LUWS, if members could somehow leave notes for preisthood leadership on their pages. It wouldn't help family find them, but their bishop would know they were ok. I guess you can get your leadership email addresses from the directory.

The biggest problem I see is the same concern Tom has. With all of the leadership changes that exist, how do you make sure that only people that need the information can find it, and how do you make sure that the person updating their information is legit?

Thanks
Barrie
The_Earl

Post by The_Earl »

Mikerowaved wrote:...for people to call to locate family members. Although I can't speak for the Church, I'm not sure duplicating this effort would be in their best interest....
I don't think the question is specifically about locating family members, as much as helping local leaders make sure that their stewardships are taken care of. I would be very surprised if the Red Cross would release information to a non-family member. I don't think you could make this or any other 'family locator' system work for leadership.

Thanks
Barrie
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

The Earl wrote:I don't think the question is specifically about locating family members, as much as helping local leaders make sure that their stewardships are taken care of. I would be very surprised if the Red Cross would release information to a non-family member. I don't think you could make this or any other 'family locator' system work for leadership.

Thanks
Barrie
Hi Barrie,

For local leaders, the unit's emergency plan is supposed to include exactly HOW information like that is to be obtained and sent to the local leader(s) so they can be kept abreast of any incident in their jurisdiction. They in turn have a plan on how to get key information to and from higher level leaders if needed.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
mhelmant

Post by mhelmant »

toddwarrenbeck wrote:New to the forum so sorry if this is a repeat.

In our neck of the woods a hurricane could easily displace half the stake. We've got reasonably sophisticated plans in place to rebuild, but one big gap will be the ability to track which members are safe and sound somewhere far from home. Evacuees are often stuck for days away, and in Katrina many stayed away long-term.

Would the Church consider a toll-free hotline, a permanent number and/or web site a member could contact to formally let the Church know where he or she is, and in what condition? Post-disaster that would be very useful. And even day-to-day when somebody moves, they could call the number or go to the web site to update their current contact information.

If it were a permanent number (1-800-LDS-FIND) we could publicize it in advance of any disaster, instructing members to check in as soon as possible so we can know who still needs help.

If admin were centralized, then it wouldn't fail when the stake is without power or communication. (Impact to power and phones is so strangely hit and miss that we never know which houses will remain on.)
As a professional disaster recovery planner, I would endorse such a site. I developed a similar database that worked with Packet radio modems and 2 meter hand-held HAM radios. Today I would build it using Cell phone Short Message Services (SMS) text messages which work in the most degraded telecommunications situations. There are multiple emergency notification and coordination uses for a Church SMS system. Like reminding people of Stake Leadership meetings, obtaining monthly home teaching reports, and requests for immediate compassionate service support.

The similar Red Cross service does not provide for non-immediate family i.e. Priesthood Leader access to the victim data. Site administration and policing during non-disasters is a fixed cost that would need to be born by LDS Humanitarian services or better yet the "missing member locators" that work in St. George, UT.

Michael Helmantoler
Certified Business Continuity Professional
Michael Helmantoler
Certified Business Continuity Professional
AdrianLP-p40

Post by AdrianLP-p40 »

tomw wrote:I think that is an interesting concept. How do you police it so that people don't abuse it?
Public executions for first time offenders :)
KathrynGZ

Post by KathrynGZ »

AdrianLP wrote:Public executions for first time offenders :)
Isn't that a little extreme? I think public floggings would suffice... ;)
AdrianLP-p40

Post by AdrianLP-p40 »

Kathryn wrote:Isn't that a little extreme?
It gets around today's troubled legal system where the villain is a victim, and the villain has more rights than the victim :)

Return to “Ideas & Suggestions”