Photos not included when priinting organizations

Discussions about the Ward Directory and Map tool on churchofjesuschrist.org.
maymdavid

Photos not included when priinting organizations

Post by maymdavid »

We are trying to print out the organization directory for our young mens so that the presidencies can discuss individual progress while looking at the picture and information about the individual.

When we go to our ward directory (Tools -> Directory) then select Ward Organizations -> Priests, then click the Print Button, we are presented with a print/save dialog. We select "Include Individual Photo" (among other details) and click Save as PDF. When it comes up, none of the pictures are included.

This also happens if we do it for Elders (we checked in case there was a block for printing photos of youth).

Is this a known bug or is there something that we need to do further to get these photos included in the organization printout?

Thanks,
David
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I just tried that for the Elders in my ward. Two photos show up on-screen, but only one shows up in the PDF. In both cases, it's individual photos.

The only thing I can see that might explain my results is the person with the missing photo was placed at the top of the column. I'm thinking there could be a bug in the logic for starting a new column.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

RussellHltn wrote:I just tried that for the Elders in my ward. Two photos show up on-screen, but only one shows up in the PDF. In both cases, it's individual photos.

The only thing I can see that might explain my results is the person with the missing photo was placed at the top of the column. I'm thinking there could be a bug in the logic for starting a new column.

I just tried it for some organizations in my ward, and the results are definitely inconsistent. Roughly 25% of the photos that appear on the screen before invoking the Print function don't appear in the PDF. Some of the entries that don't appear are in the middle of a column, and several that do appear are at the top of a column, so I don't think that the column theory is going to be the answer. But there's definitely something flaky. One interesting point is that I never see a photo for anyone in my household (except for me), even though we all have individual photos.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I wonder if the difference is approval? Since I'm a stake person, I can't manage the photos. I'm not sure if I can see what is and is not approved.

I did verify that the two samples I saw had the same privacy settings (stake).
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

RussellHltn wrote:I wonder if the difference is approval?

That's not it, either. My wife sees the exact same anomalies that I see. Unapproved photos wouldn't be visible to her at all, yet she sees photos for the same people in the regular view that I do, and the same subset of those people have no photos in the generated PDF.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
failproof

Post by failproof »

For some contrast, I do not experience this at all. The sum total of 7 RS sisters show up with pictures in the PDF generated document, which is the same total number of sisters who actually have a photo uploaded to their profile. (Similar results for other organizations in my ward.)

Some things to note about my experience which may or may not help determine the issue are first, the fact already mentioned that we don't have many photos uploaded for our ward; second, we don't have a high use of the directory at all from our ward indicating that privacy settings are most likely almost all at the default stake level, thus if privacy settings are a factor at all this could explain in part my not seeing any issues (not sure how a setting of private, only allowing leaders, affects the photos and if what you see online vs what is allowed to be printed is affected by these settings - I don't have a leadership calling, but I am both stake and ward website administrator); third, for grins, I tried it in both Chrome and IE with the same results (though I doubt the PDF generator works different for different browsers); fourth, all photos that have been uploaded for my ward have been approved and assigned (New Photo's shows as 0)
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

failproof wrote:Some things to note about my experience which may or may not help determine the issue are first, the fact already mentioned that we don't have many photos uploaded for our ward; second, we don't have a high use of the directory at all from our ward indicating that privacy settings are most likely almost all at the default stake level,
Well, I only had two in the Elders Quorum that had photos and both were set to "stake", so we're still in need of a better theory.

davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

I wonder if it is a .pdf thing? Last year, my company sent out a new Travel Policy for everyone to review and agree to. It was a .pdf document. When I printed it, sections of text were missing. In working through that issue, my IT department instructed me to print the document as graphics. In my case, I could see the information but it did not print so that may not be the issue here. I have had problems with saving documents as .pdf from Office 2010 where some of the information gets garbled for some reason.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

davesudweeks wrote:I wonder if it is a .pdf thing?

At work I can send the same .pdf file to three different printers and get three different versions of the document. The IT folks tell me it is a printer driver problem.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

lajackson wrote:At work I can send the same .pdf file to three different printers and get three different versions of the document. The IT folks tell me it is a printer driver problem.

Are you talking about in general or with this application? I think most of us are looking at the image.

Return to “Ward Directory and Map”