New Remote Management Software & Sophos installation

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
sphester

New Remote Management Software & Sophos installation

Post by sphester »

I recently watched the Tech webcast about the MLS PC's, broadcast at the end of the May.

I'm interested to know if the GSC can remote deploy the new management software I think it was called TEM to all of my ward MLS PC's.

This should then allow them to deploy sophos remotely which would save several long car journeys to different wards to do the work myself.

The only problem l can see is that 7 of the current stake PCs are older xp machines with only service pack and they are not on the newer standard user name and password.

Does anyone know if the above could be done as there is no other remote desktop software I can use and this would save me time and money.

Thanks Simon
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

As far as I know, they can only deploy it if the PC is on broadband. I don't know of any other limitations.

Note, that with approval (to avoid stepping on anyone's toes), you can delegate those tasks to someone in the ward.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
sphester

Post by sphester »

Every unit has broadband now.

I have looked into getting someone from each unit to do this but flt it could be easier and less hassle if the GSC does this remotely in the background.
harddrive

Post by harddrive »

sphester wrote:Every unit has broadband now.

I have looked into getting someone from each unit to do this but flt it could be easier and less hassle if the GSC does this remotely in the background.

One thing you can use is teamviewer. There will need to have someone at the ward. Teamviewer allows you to remotely connect to the computer and then you can do anything on the computer like you would be at the building. Teamviewer is free to use when working with a non profit organization.
rgme

Post by rgme »

One thing you can use is teamviewer.
Sorry to disappoint, but Brian specifically called out Teamviewer in the recent webcast (June 1). He said they told him that we could absolutely not use it as a Church under the "free" license. However, he didn't mention LogMeIn (sounded like he might have contacted them, though. In the end, Brian seemed to conclude with something like, "Just don't do things that will get us in trouble." I wasn't sure what the bottom line was. From my own research, I've found that LogMeIn offers a free=free=free for anybody approach for their LogMeIn Free setup.

Personally, I'm hoping for a very clear, written policy to come out on this. I know I will have needs for remote management on some computers beyond the regular maintenance that CHQ handles.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

rgme wrote:However, he didn't mention LogMeIn

At about 27:10 in the broadcast, he did say that remote access "currently not allowed by policy." He did say they are interested in the useage sceanrios.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Aczlan

Post by Aczlan »

harddrive wrote:Teamviewer is free to use when working with a non profit organization.
Not so, it is free to use when working without pay for a non-profit. I work for a 501c3 and we asked about using it. We were told that it was not allowable for our case and we would have to buy a corporate license.

Aaron Z
JamesAnderson

Post by JamesAnderson »

Just found a good Youtube video about Tivoli Endpoint Manager that shows the remote management of patch deployment which is going to save us a lot of time and hassle dealing with patches and some other things.

Didn't see anything on new software deploys though, this had to do with primarily Windows patches, mentions Linux fixits, etc.

There are some very interesting capabilities of TEM, that in the end can and will save us all a barrel of time in the end.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSrZU9vW1ZA
craiggsmith

Post by craiggsmith »

I believe they are pushing TEM out in the background so you shouldn't have to do anything.
Craig
South Jordan, UT
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

craiggsmith wrote:I believe they are pushing TEM out in the background so you shouldn't have to do anything.
I was wondering if we can install it without needing to wait for it to be done automatically?

Return to “Clerk Computers”