Remove a building from the calendar locations

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
rayfroess

Remove a building from the calendar locations

Post by rayfroess »

I'm a Stake Assistant Clerk. In the Calendar page is a dropdown for Settings. Selecting "Locations & Rooms" opens a page showing our Locations. The stake building is listed as a location twice; as a "Stake Center" and also as the wards using the same building. Since it's a duplicate, one location should be removed.

Both locations have extensive calendar entries. If I start to remove the “Stake Center” I get a message; "Deleting this location could have widespread effects on related events and reservations. Are you sure you want to delete this location?"

Scheduling isn't enabled for the “Stake Center” location so there aren’t any reservations. I think the warning means that if I had an event and a reservation it would delete the reservation but leave the event. In my case there aren't any reservations so all events should remain.

I have several questions:
  1. Is it safe to remove the "Stake Center" location? Obviously if removing it removes all the stake calendar items it will be a huge problem!
  2. If the events were deleted, can the calendar be restored?
  3. Shouldn't Locations be named by their street location than by the wards using them?
  4. Will my editing changes update the FMAT database?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

RayFroess wrote:Scheduling isn't enabled for the “Stake Center” location so there aren’t any reservations. I think the warning means that if I had an event and a reservation it would delete the reservation but leave the event. In my case there aren't any reservations so all events should remain.
What I think will happen is all those events will become "location-less". Someone will need to connect them back up to a location to book that room. But of course, if there's two "locations" for one building, then there's already a risk of double-booking.
RayFroess wrote:Will my editing changes update the FMAT database?
No.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

RayFroess wrote:2. If the events were deleted, can the calendar be restored?
The events won't be deleted, as RussellHltn explained. But the calendar itself can be restored. A deleted calendar goes onto the "Deleted Calendars" list and can be restored for up to 30 days. After 30 days, it is permanently deleted.
RayFroess wrote:3. Shouldn't Locations be named by their street location than by the wards using them?
The default location name comes from the FMAT database, so it's whatever your FM named it. I know that our locations started out being named after the wards in the buildings as well. But you (being a stake administrator) can edit the name to be whatever you want. Our buildings have names that have been in use for many years (not necessarily the street name), so of course we named them that way so that members would recognize the buildings.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
kisaac
Community Moderators

Post by kisaac »

RayFroess wrote: [*]Shouldn't Locations be named by their street location than by the wards using them?
[/LIST]
I also would expect they be named by what they've been called in the past. If its been know as the 123 ward building, throughout the stake, why not call it that?
failproof

Post by failproof »

We updated our location names to say, for example "Yorksire (H5,H6,H7)" for our building on Yorkshire Drive that is used by the Highland 5th, 6th, and 7th wards. Made it much easier to see not only which building it was but be able to understand which wards most often use it.
kyleq

Post by kyleq »

All the information provided by the previous posts is accurate. If it helps I'll just confirm what has been said. Deleting a location does not delete any events that are using that location. Those events will simply become location-less events as RussellHltn mentioned. Deleting a location will not have an effect on calendars or events it will simply get rid of that location from the calendar system. Updates to locations in the calendar system do not propagate to the FMAT system. We simply pull from that system.
rayfroess

Post by rayfroess »

Thanks for the answers to my questions.

Before deleting the duplicate location I use Print to create a pdf of just the stake events for the whole year. I could use this to reenter them if something went wrong and restoring using Deleted Calendar didn't work. Then in Location & Rooms I selected the duplicate "Stake" location, clicked Edit, and then clicked the Delete button. I ignored the warning and deleted the location. As stated above, the duplicate location was removed and nothing happened to the events.

Return to “Calendar”