8-year-old's baptism didn't get recorded in 2006

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
mwgrover

8-year-old's baptism didn't get recorded in 2006

Post by mwgrover »

We have an inactive family in our ward, but in 2006 they were meeting with the full-time missionaries, and their 8-year-old son decided to be baptized. I was the ward mission leader at the time and I conducted the baptism service and remember the baptism and confirmation in sacrament meeting the next day.

Unfortunately, shortly thereafter, the family (including the 8-year-old) stopped coming to church again and we were not able to contact them for several years. Within the past few months the boy started coming to church again, now 14 years old. The YM president came to me and noted that we didn't have his name on the records. Some of the family has moved in and out of the ward, so I thought his record was somewhere else. I tried to request his record, but received a message from HQ stating that there was no record for him. So it looks like his baptism was never recorded back in 2006 by our clerks at that time.

I know the dates of his baptism and confirmation, and I was there. I even know who baptized him - it was one of our full-time missionaries at the time. But I only know his last name, and I do not remember who confirmed him on Sunday.

Is there any way we can record this young man's baptism without requiring him to be rebaptized because we do not have the full information of who actually performed the ordinances? Again, it is an less active family and I don't think they would look too kindly on us telling him he had to be rebaptized because of a clerical error on our part.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

mwgrover wrote:I know the date of his baptism and confirmation, and I was there. I even know who baptized him - it was one of our full-time missionaries at the time. But I do not remember who confirmed him on Sunday.

Is there any way we can record this young man's baptism without requiring him to be re-baptized because we do not have the full information of who actually performed the ordinances?
With the information you have presented, and following the instructions in Handbook 1, you probably will be able to do as you wish.
mwgrover

Post by mwgrover »

lajackson wrote:With the information you have presented, and following the instructions in Handbook 1, you probably will be able to do as you wish.
Well, that's good... but how would I do it? When I attempt to record a baptism in MLS, it will not let you proceed without entering information for those who performed the ordinances.
mwgrover

Post by mwgrover »

lajackson wrote:With the information you have presented, and following the instructions in Handbook 1, you probably will be able to do as you wish.
Thanks... but which instructions in Handbook 1 are you referring to? And how would I actually record the ordinance? When I attempt to record the baptism in MLS, it won't let me past entering information on those who performed the ordinances (which information I do not have.)
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

mwgrover wrote:Thanks... but which instructions in Handbook 1 are you referring to? And how would I actually record the ordinance? When I attempt to record the baptism in MLS, it won't let me past entering information on those who performed the ordinances (which information I do not have.)
See Handbook 1, Section 16.1.10 for instructions. It's possible you may need to send a Special Request to get the ordinance recorded.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.

Return to “Membership Help”