trouble with LDS.org and android app LDS Tools

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
donmilam

Post by donmilam »

I have 2 accounts and use the same name and password on both:
  • computer or android "LDS.org"
  • android app "LDS tools"
After I purge all data, then download the stake/ward membership files on my android, some of the members are left out. On my home computer using LDS.org I have the same problem. When I use the church computer with my name/password on LDS.org, I get the same result. The ward clerk uses his name and password at the church on LDS.org and gets all the names correctly.

I thought this was an android app problem, but the problem persists on the LDS.org cite for my name/password at home and using the church computer. I've talked to at least 7 other members who have androids, computers and IPADs, but they don't have this problem on any device.

Does anyone have an idea why my name/password does not give correct results. Is it tied to calling, and if so, does the LDS.org program check for that. I am the ward HPGL.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

donmilam wrote:Does anyone have an idea why my name/password does not give correct results. Is it tied to calling, and if so, does the LDS.org program check for that. I am the ward HPGL.
As ward HPGL, you have no special permissions to see members whose profiles are marked as private. The one person whose calling you mentioned is the ward clerk, who definitely does have permission to see members with private profiles. The visibility rules apply the same on the Directory on LDS.org as on LDS Tools for mobile devices. If the other 7 people you mentioned also have bishopric, stake presidency, executive secretary, or clerk callings, then this is all working exactly as expected.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

While the app may be working as designed, the problem described in the Privacy settings randomly changed? thread may be a factor.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
donmilam

Post by donmilam »

aebrown wrote:As ward HPGL, you have no special permissions to see members whose profiles are marked as private. The one person whose calling you mentioned is the ward clerk, who definitely does have permission to see members with private profiles. The visibility rules apply the same on the Directory on LDS.org as on LDS Tools for mobile devices. If the other 7 people you mentioned also have bishopric, stake presidency, executive secretary, or clerk callings, then this is all working exactly as expected.

So, you are saying, LDS.org has the ability to check callings before it displays data. (what if ward callings aren't kept up-to-date in a timely matter?) that seems like a design flaw to me. LDS.org is basically a "public" site, since theoretically 3500 stake members would be able to have access. i've seen members data on LDS Tools that has a marker stating member doesn't want contact. Remember, we're talking about LDS.org, not the MLS system. My understanding is that MLS feeds LDS.org. So if the member is in the ward MLS data base, it should display on LDS.org--true?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

donmilam wrote:So, you are saying, LDS.org has the ability to check callings before it displays data.
Yes. We're talking about the Directory on LDS.org, which is only visible when you are signed in to LDS.org with your LDS Account. Your LDS Account is connected to your membership record number, which is connected to your callings.
donmilam wrote:(what if ward callings aren't kept up-to-date in a timely matter?) that seems like a design flaw to me.
That's not a design flaw -- ward clerks have a responsibility to keep callings up to date. Callings appear in the leadership directory, and they also control access to a variety of Church websites. If clerks don't stay on top of this part of their calling, they will cause a variety of problems.
donmilam wrote:LDS.org is basically a "public" site, since theoretically 3500 stake members would be able to have access.
That's certainly not "public" -- 3500 is a lot less than 7 billion. And the Directory has even more visibility settings than that -- members can choose to have their profiles visible only to leaders, or just to their ward, or to the whole stake. But households are never visible outside the stake, so it's far from public.
donmilam wrote:i've seen members data on LDS Tools that has a marker stating member doesn't want contact. Remember, we're talking about LDS.org, not the MLS system. My understanding is that MLS feeds LDS.org. So if the member is in the ward MLS data base, it should display on LDS.org--true?
Not exactly. Although much of what appears on the Directory on LDS.org comes from MLS, that's not the whole story. Privacy settings are not stored in MLS, and photos are also not stored in MLS. If a member is in MLS, they will appear in the Directory on LDS.org, but not all members will necessarily see them -- that's controlled by the member's privacy settings, and by the callings and ward membership of the person viewing the Directory.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

donmilam wrote:i've seen members data on LDS Tools that has a marker stating member doesn't want contact.

I'm guessing you're asking why you'd allowed to see "no contact". There is no such marker defined in the system. Someone must have been re-purposing or adding something to a address or phone number field.

Also, there was a MLS message sent from CHQ on Sept 20, 2009 saying that membership records should not be flagged with a "no contact". See here.

So if you're seeing "no contact" that's not a flaw in the system, but someone not following instructions.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “General Discussions”