One event, three wards, one building -- you make the call

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
Jonovitch

One event, three wards, one building -- you make the call

Post by Jonovitch »

We're having a July 4th celebration breakfast with the 3 wards that share our building. Is it possible to create one event for all three wards (but not the entire stake)?

You might think a workaround is for each ward to create their own event, but then we get scheduling conflicts. (One guy checked the box to reserve the whole building, so I couldn't create an event for our ward at all until I emailed him.)

So I'm wondering, would there hypothetically be somebody with the right set of permissions to create a multi-ward (but not full stake) event for one location? An agent bishop maybe?

If not, consider this my feature-enhancement request. :)
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

There's currently no feature like that. I think the closest you could do is have the ward in charge book the building and the other wards select "Other Location" for their events.

That way, it's on everyone's calendar and the building is properly booked for the event.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Jonovitch

Post by Jonovitch »

Thanks, I just changed our location from "Our Building Name" and Primary Room to Other (and entered the exact same location of the building name). Worked like a charm. Love those workarounds! :)
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

If you frequently have such events, another option is to create a stake calendar. Yes, it will be visible to the whole stake, but you can name it something like "Lakewood Building Events" which would discourage other wards from subscribing to it. Then a single event could be created for the event. It's a clean solution, except for the fact that other wards in the stake will see this calendar (and given the default subscription settings, many members of those other wards will auto-subscribe to the calendar). But in this case, you have to pick your poison.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

aebrown wrote:But in this case, you have to pick your poison.
And I think the key to that is how often this comes up. If it's just for one or two events in a year, then a stake calendar seems like more trouble then it's worth.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Calendar”