Sophos Blocking Network Print Spool Driver

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
fernsten

Sophos Blocking Network Print Spool Driver

Post by fernsten »

We have a Brother MFC8680DN multifunction printer attached to a switch that is shared with our MLS machine. Network printing works from all of the Bishopric's wireless devices, but as of today we are unable to connect to the printer via the MLS machine. Further investigation shows that Sophos has quarantined our network print spool driver on the computer. How can we remedy this issue?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

fernsten wrote:Sophos has quarantined our network print spool driver on the computer. How can we remedy this issue?

There are ways to configure exceptions for Sophos, but we can't share them here. Work with the Global Service Center to see if they will help you make such an exception.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

It sounds like a case of a "false positive". That is Sophos sees something in the file that it thinks is a virus signature. So it's likely something with that version of the driver, and not trying to block what the driver is there for.

You could try downloading an updated driver. With any luck, Sophos won't quarantine that.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
fernsten

Post by fernsten »

RussellHltn wrote: You could try downloading an updated driver. With any luck, Sophos won't quarantine that.

I wish there was an updated driver. Unfortunately 2011 was the last update. I've tried removing Sophos, removing the printer drivers, reinstalling everything . . . the whole gamut. As soon as everything is reinstalled the drivers are immediately quarantined. I'll try the Global Service Center tomorrow and just save everything as a PDF for now.

aebrown, can you send instructions to a private e-mail account, or is it preferred that I work directly with the GSC?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

fernsten wrote:aebrown, can you send instructions to a private e-mail account, or is it preferred that I work directly with the GSC?
The GSC can verify who you are; I cannot. Since this issue deals with security measures, it's definitely best for you to work with the GSC.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.

Return to “Clerk Computers”