Missionary Home on Temporary Medical Leave - Should Family Suspend Mission Payments?

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
jabancroft

Missionary Home on Temporary Medical Leave - Should Family Suspend Mission Payments?

Post by jabancroft »

We have a sister who is on temporary medical leave from her mission, and her family asked me (as the finance clerk) if they should continue or suspend their monthly contributions to the ward missionary fund on her behalf (they are funding the entire amount each month).

I couldn't find any guidance on this, so I told the family that she could pause the payments while the Sister is home, and promised to follow up.

So, this is me, following up. :o

Does anyone know if there is any guidance on this topic? Our ward missionary fund is healthy enough that even if HQ continues to draw her monthly amount while she is home, it won't cause a hardship/deficit to any of our other missionaries.

Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks!
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

We had a similar situation in our stake. The withdrawals were temporarily suspended while the missionary was home. But precisely when the last payment is withdrawn, and when the payments resume, is not something anyone here could tell you definitively. It's also not predictable what the effect will be on the ultimate release date. All these things could be clarified by a call to the Missionary Department.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
jabancroft

Post by jabancroft »

Thank you!

Return to “Local Unit Finance”