Too many discussion forums for this topic

Discussions about the Lesson Schedules Tool
mevans

Too many discussion forums for this topic

Post by mevans »

Due to other articles on tech.lds.org about this topic, there are other conversations taking place. Wouldn't it be better to close comments on those articles and direct people to this forum? My first comments were on one of those pages until I realized it's better on the forums.

See New lesson schedules in beta and Lesson schedules now on tools menu.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

LDSTech has a blog, a wiki, and forums. They are all connected, and there's some overlap, but they do have their distinct purposes.

You seem to be concerned that the blog allows comments for the articles. I agree that there is some potential for duplicated discussions between blog comments and Forum threads. However, both those blog articles do indeed direct people to come to the Forum to discuss issues.

Personally, I think it's fine to continue to allow comments on blog articles. It provides a very lightweight, easy-to-use way for people to make comments. Some people may find this huge Forum a bit daunting, so I don't think we should force people into the Forum as their only way to make comments.

If people are comfortable with the Forum, they'll get all the benefits of subscriptions, private messages, links, formatting, etc. But if they just want to make a quick comment right on the blog article they're reading, they should have that option, too.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
tomjoht

Post by tomjoht »

Eventually we are going to add a custom google site search to LDSTech that will provide search results across the three sites.

There was a time in the past when each blog article linked to a forum thread corresponding to that blog article, but it didn't work out so well. I agree with Alan that allowing comments in multiple places is fine. If you really want to discuss something, the forums are better. But if you just want to leave quick feedback, adding it to the article is fine too.

Return to “Lesson Schedules”