New software available in the Member and Leader Services

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
Biggles

New software available in the Member and Leader Services

Post by Biggles »

I noticed today a new piece of software in the MLS web page. Its called Computer Management Software (TEM). Anyone aware of its functionality?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

It was talked about in today's broadcast for STS. It's a new management software. I guess they're phasing out LanDesk. Patches, pushing software updates. Things like that.

Did you notice they they replaced OpenOffice with LibreOffice?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

RussellHltn wrote:It was talked about in today's broadcast for STS. It's a new management software. I guess they're phasing out LanDesk. Patches, pushing software updates. Things like that.
Unfortunately I didn't get to listen to the broadcast, because of the time differences and other commitments. Is there a link up yet?
Did you notice they they replaced OpenOffice with LibreOffice?
Not until you mentioned it!
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Biggles wrote:Unfortunately I didn't get to listen to the broadcast, because of the time differences and other commitments. Is there a link up yet?
Yes. It's in the email send to all STS. That's how I watched it.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

Hence my edit, after the fact. ;)

Last edited by Biggles; Today at 10:56 AM. Reason: Found Link!

Have now watched it and it was very informative indeed.

Thanks for the reminder!
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

RussellHltn wrote:Yes. It's in the email send to all STS. That's how I watched it.
Just so others don't have to hunt around, the link to the blog post on this topic is: Upcoming June LDSTech Broadcast: Clerk Computers, which has a "Watch it now" link that lets you see the recording.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
JamesAnderson

Post by JamesAnderson »

Saw the broadcast, and he mentioned the new endpoint manager, made no mention of LANDesk though.

'Tim' as he pronounced it is actually 'TEM', or 'Tivoli Endpoint Manager' and it's goiing to help cut the workload dramatically for anyone having to do updates and other routine matters like that. It's part of IBM's acquisition of BigFix a couple years ago, and I think, after having viewed some tutorial videos on Youtube about it, that it will also be a big help to GSD as well and may allow things to go a lot faster when they are doing things. Also given that it will be a way to deal with all the patches and stuff Microsoft and others send down that we need, so we don't have to, is going to really be a time saver. I still, however, am seeing some patches come in at the end of the day at the usual times of the month regarding Microsoft. Also, speedtest.lds.org is not detecting the latest Java (7.4) so it's skipping some of the tests. Found that issue while on an FHC computer.

Can't really tell if the new filtering and web security suite is working on the network yet, but I've noticed some good speed improvement when working with websites, although the initial start on some older XP machines is slow when opening a browser for the first time that day.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

JamesAnderson wrote:Saw the broadcast, and he mentioned the new endpoint manager, made no mention of LANDesk though.

He didn't mention LanDesk by name. But it's what you got if you installed the prior management software. I thought he indicated that the existing software would be phased out. I see no reason they'd have both except to transition.

aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

JamesAnderson wrote:'Tim' as he pronounced it is actually 'TEM', or 'Tivoli Endpoint Manager'

Actually, Brian Fromm was very careful to pronounce it as "TEM" -- there was no I sound in there -- it was clearly a short E.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
JamesAnderson

Post by JamesAnderson »

Thanks Alan, that sounds about right, might have been an artifact in my sound setup then on my machine locally that made it sound just ever so slightly differently.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”