Need a Faster Way to Edit Multiple Lessons

Discussions about the Lesson Schedules Tool
rdhill

Need a Faster Way to Edit Multiple Lessons

Post by rdhill »

I need a way to edit multiple lessons at once, please.

I'm trying to update our Nursery schedule. The Nursery manual (Behold Your Little Ones) has only 30 lessons, so we cycle through those during the year and have several lessons repeated. Additionally, the lessons for Easter and Christmas (lessons 29 and 30) are taught out of numerical sequence.

As I currently see it, I have to edit every week's lesson individually, and it is too time-consuming to make it worth using. I would love to see one page where I could edit the entire year's schedule for a class, instead of having to edit one week at a time. (If this feature is already available, and I'm just not seeing it, please tell me! :) )

This is also an issue for our Valiant 11 class, which needs the lesson on priesthood preparation taught out of sequence. I'd have to edit the whole year, one week at a time, to get that lesson inserted.

I am excited to have this Lesson Schedule tool available, and look forward to seeing further updates published!
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

rdhill wrote:As I currently see it, I have to edit every week's lesson individually, and it is too time-consuming to make it worth using.

I'd be curious to see the "math" behind not "worth it". Since there are only 52 weeks in a year, if one spends 5 seconds to select each lesson, that's less than 5 minutes. A bit tedious, but not that long. (I should add that the old system was completely manual, and I did the data entry.)

The problem with "automatic" is there's all kinds of exceptions and different patterns. You've just added a new one in that the cycle repeats rather then just going though a manual once. My concern is if the designers try to accommodate all the possibilities, the automatic features would not be too confusing - particularly when it might get used just once a year to set the annual schedule.

That said, I'm sure they'll try to accommodate the most common situations as best they can.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
mevans

Post by mevans »

I had proposed a grid control for doing this, which they said they would consider for future implementation.

See Grid control for editing lessons.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

RussellHltn wrote:I'd be curious to see the "math" behind not "worth it". Since there are only 52 weeks in a year, if one spends 5 seconds to select each lesson, that's less than 5 minutes. A bit tedious, but not that long. (I should add that the old system was completely manual, and I did the data entry.)

Your math is good, if it only takes 5 seconds. But if it takes 15 or 30 the tradeoff becomes a little more difficult. And this is just for one class.
tw.lbean

Post by tw.lbean »

When I select a lesson for a particular week, it would be nice to have the subsequent weeks, with "lessons", automatically update to continue from there. It would be much faster to fix the exceptions than to edit each lesson by hand.

For classes that teach lessons multiple times a year (eg. continuous loop), simply start over. An example that comes to mind is the Marriage and Family Relations (16 weeks). If I manually select "Lesson 15" for Jul 15, the following weeks (assuming class type for each week was set to "Class Manual") would automatically change to:

Jul 22: Lesson 16
Jul 29: Lesson 1
Aug 5: Lesson 2

In my head, here is how I see the process for creating a new class (worst case scenario) working:
1. Add class
2. Edit class types for the weeks not using the default of "Class Manual" to some other type
3. Set the lesson for the first class date
4. All subsequent "Class Manual" days would automatically adjust

EDIT: My experience with the lesson schedules website today was an average of about 15s per edit. Multiplied by classes * lessons * 15s + RSI from clicking = pain
kisaac
Community Moderators

Post by kisaac »

rdhill wrote: This is also an issue for our Valiant 11 class, which needs the lesson on priesthood preparation taught out of sequence. I'd have to edit the whole year, one week at a time, to get that lesson inserted.
While the original post is older, I know, but for those still looking for answers,...There may be a work-around...and perhaps its untried as yet....But:

By adding your Priesthood lesson by a ward administrator as an "event," and having it apply (effect) only that valiant calendar and no other ward calendars (a very important point!) Thus, it would be treated like any other event, (stake conference, general conference) and it would replace any existing lesson for that date on the calednar(s) specified when you created the event, (or if you deleted the valiant calendar and re-established it, the lessons would auto-populate around that one special "event lesson." Title it something obvious, like Valiant Special Priesthood Lesson. May be more hassle than its worth, but the special Easter and Christmas primary lessons could be handled the same way if you had several primary schedules that you wanted to adjust by inserting one "event" called the "Christmas Primary lesson" and had it effect multiple primary calendars.

Just a thought.

Return to “Lesson Schedules”