Husband and Wife Different Addresses

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
sixonties

Husband and Wife Different Addresses

Post by sixonties »

I have a situation where the husband and wife are married, with minor children, but they live in different locations for work reasons. Both would like to have their records in their local wards so they can fully participate in church callings, etc. I imagine that their records will need to be separated somehow. Can MLS accommodate this situation?

Thank you,
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

sixonties wrote:I have a situation where the husband and wife are married, with minor children, but they live in different locations for work reasons. Both would like to have their records in their local wards so they can fully participate in church callings, etc. I imagine that their records will need to be separated somehow. Can MLS accommodate this situation?

A membership record can officially be in only one ward at a time. That ward needs to be the ward that the member is living in (meaning for at least 3 months -- shorter times in a ward are considered temporary and do not require a move of records).

However, MLS has a capability for creating an Out of unit record in cases where a member's record is not transferred but the ward leaders desire to have a "copy" of the record so that the member can appear in directories and be assigned callings. The wiki article I linked to should answer your questions.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
sixonties

Post by sixonties »

This will be a long-term situation. Is there a way to break the husband and wife records apart so they can be in different units, but still reflect that they are married?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

sixonties wrote:This will be a long-term situation. Is there a way to break the husband and wife records apart so they can be in different units, but still reflect that they are married?
If you send an individual record to a different unit, that will clearly break up the household. Each of the individual records will still list the spouse, which will clearly indicate that they are married for any reporting purposes. Note that there is a distinction between having a spouse listed on an individual membership record, and having a husband and wife in the same household. Two people can be married to each other without being in the same household (or even in the same ward).

Similarly, each parent's individual record would still list all their children in the Children section of the membership record, regardless of what ward the children's membership records are in, or what household the children are connected with. The minor children would still be in the household with the parent they actually live with, and the other parent would be in the other ward with no children in the household.

There may not be any need for out of unit records as I mentioned in my first post in this thread. It sounds like your primary concern is that the parents still are officially recorded as married to each other, which they will be, even if they are not in the same household.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

aebrown wrote:It sounds like your primary concern is that the parents still are officially recorded as married to each other, which they will be, even if they are not in the same household.

If all we're concerned about is that MLS knows they are married, there's no problem. But if the record is by itself, it may appear to anyone looking at the directory that they are single. In that case, an out of unit record may be desirable for the spouse so they appear correctly in various listings.

Note that in many cases the on-line directory will show the spouse, even if not present in the ward. This may be sufficient for the intended purposes.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

RussellHltn wrote:Note that in many cases the on-line directory will show the spouse, even if not present in the ward. This may be sufficient for the intended purposes.

I don't know of any cases where that is true, except for nonmember spouses. That is not the situation being discussed in this thread.

Return to “Membership Help”