LDS.org and the Macintosh Computer

Discuss ideas and suggestions around the Church website.
zaneclark

LDS.org and the Macintosh Computer

Post by zaneclark »

I am putting this here because I can't see any other forum area that covers this. I have specific issues/problems/solutions in using my Macintosh for sending email to the ward, and other tasks. I have asked about this on the other forums but no one seems to be conversant with the specific issues.

The first issue is using the directory to send email to the ward. I have found that the email client on my iMac will not handle the number of addresses to send an email to large groups. It will work with smaller groups such as the Elders or High Priests, but will not work with the entire ward or the Relief Society.
A further strange one with this is that before they changed the addresses to put a comma instead of a semi colon to separate the names, I COULD send to the whole ward by copying the addresses into a word processing program and do a find and replace to change the semi colon to a comma. After they made the change to a comma, it will no longer accept the email addresses, so I still have to go to my documents and copy and paste the list of edited names into the address field.

And while I am on this, my iPad will work with the entire ward by using LDS Tools and the Adults under Ward Organizations.

I have reported these issues several times to feedback, but the only answer I received was a few months ago when they said they would refer my question to someone familiar with Macs. Evidently they didn't find anyone.
I would be interested in hearing from anyone with similar problems and solutions.
zaneclark

Post by zaneclark »

I made an error in my original post. I use the directory under the Tools menu on LDS.org to send out email using my iPad, not LDS Tools.
mprusse

Post by mprusse »

I use a Mac and would be happy to help you. I'll need a little more information. Tell me how you are going about sending to the entire ward or Relief Society. What happens when you attempt to do so? Are you using Mac Mail or some other Macintosh compatible mail program?
zaneclark

Post by zaneclark »

Thank you for responding! I was beginning to think I was all alone in the LDS/Mac world.
I use the Directory under the Tools menu on LDS.org. There is a listing for Ward Organizations. When you open this link, you will see a list of the organizations, such as High Priests and Relief Society, and one called Adults. When I try to use Email All Adults, it hangs up and will not load the addresses. It works with smaller groups such as the HP. I am using the Mac mail client as that is the one it defaults to when I attempt to send an email. Also, for whatever reason, it works great on my iPad. All the adult addresses load almost instantly and I can easily send the email... Someone suggested I use another email client such as Google, but I do not know the procedure for doing this.
hpaulsen

Post by hpaulsen »

I run OSX Lion. I just tested my ward with Thunderbird (my default mail client) and Mail 5.2. It didn't have any problems loading the 62 email addresses we had for 'adults'. I know this doesn't help you, and I apologize. Could you tell us what OS you have (OSX Mountain Lion (preview)/10.8, Lion/10.7, Snow Leopard/10.6, Leopard/10.5, Tiger/10.4, Panther/10.3, Jaguar/10.2, Puma10.1, 10.0, OS 9)?
zaneclark

Post by zaneclark »

I am running Lion, 10.7. How do you choose another email client instead of the Mac client? I have heard that gmail also works. I have 154 adults with email addresses, but as I said, previously when they were using semi-colons to separate the addresses, they loaded find, but the semi-colon wouldn't allow the process to finish. Also, when I manually changed out the semi-colon to a comma, all 150 names loaded fine. It is when they made the change to comma that I couldn't load them.... Somewhat mysterious, but I guess that is the nature of computers....
hpaulsen

Post by hpaulsen »

For Thunderbird, go to mozilla.org/thunderbird, download the installer dmg, open it, run the installer if it has one (I can't remember) or drag it to the Applications directory then open it. It should handle the rest.

If it doesn't change the default mail client, you can do that by opening mail, click on the "Mail" menu, click "Preferences...", and the first thing you should see it "Default email reader:" - select whichever one you wish to use.
angellr

Trying to use LDS.ORG Tools->Leadership Resources and NO JOY!!!

Post by angellr »

I have a MacBook Pro 2.53GHz machine with 8GB of RAM and running Lion 10.7.3 and have tried Safari, Chrome, Opera and Firefox to launch and use the Tools->Leadership Resources section of LDS.ORG. ALL browsers freeze up and it appears that this page only works under Windows/IE8. Anyone else having similar problems on the Mac?
hpaulsen

Post by hpaulsen »

Mine is a MacBookPro8,2 (2.2 GHz i7) running OSX 10.7.4 and I have had no problems with Chrome or Firefox. I use the membership record lookup nearly every week during leadership meetings. Is it the entire leadership resources section? Have you tried clearing your cache? My guess would be that one of the network resources is being blocked by a firewall for some reason, but that's just a guess. Have you tried Windows/IE8 (bootcamp/parallels/etc)?

If that doesn't help, then if you're reasonably tech savvy you can use Chrome or Firebug to examine the network requests and see if any are timing out. (In chrome, I'm seeing 65 requests totaling 32.43 KB.)

Return to “Main Church Website”