MLS error - "java.lang NullPointerException"

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
colbyj

MLS error - "java.lang NullPointerException"

Post by colbyj »

Hi, in the process of cutting checks for some of our stake leaders our MLS shutdown...it simply closed out. When trying to log back on the "java" error message window popped up. We've rebooted the computer and still no luck. It appears to be a problem with MLS only as other programs on our stake computer are working fine.

Any suggestions as to how we might fix this quickly?
thank you
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

I can't help you with this error, but I would recommend that you not experiment. A few months ago, we had another problem with the MLS package. Our stake decided to wait until the support group opened and contacted them. By that time they had discovered the problem and had a solution. Our patience paid off. There were reports on the forum of users who were not so patient and did restorals in an effort to resolve it. It ended up causing them more grief than if they had simply waited.

So....Unless someone here has a clear understanding of what happened and a proven solution, I would suggest that you wait until Tuesday and contact support. IMHO
Have you read the Code of Conduct?
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

You can generally recover MLS operations by doing a complete install of MLS using the installer found on the MLS download site. Do not uninstall MLS but install it on top of the current installation. The Java Runtime Environment (JRE) that MLS uses is installed separately from the computer system's version of Java. It may be that a file may have become corrupt or unusable. Reinstalling will restore corrupt, missing, or unreadable files as well as reset registry keys.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
colbyj

Post by colbyj »

Hi, thanks for the replies. We actually did reinstall MLS thinking the same thing you noted above about hoping the reinstall would repair whatever might be wrong... but we ended up with the same error message. We didn't uninstall, we simply installed over the existing MLS as you suggested. No luck.
I'll call support tomorrow, hopefully someone can help. thanks
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

The next step would be to completely uninstall MLS and do a clean install. Make sure you have a good recent backup. Any data changes from the session at the time of the problem, or last send/receive, will be lost. Clear the %temp% directory and follow the clean install procedures.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Sunday's over, so I don't think there's any rush. Restoring from even the most recent backup can cause lost data. I think it's worth waiting for support to open.

It's entirely possible that a restore is required - either from a saved backup, or one of the internal backups. But since CUBS, I wouldn't suggest any restore that takes one back before the last send/receive without contacting support.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”