request new feature: third option when adding an event

Discussions about the Lesson Schedules Tool
sasgrw

request new feature: third option when adding an event

Post by sasgrw »

When you add a new event, you only have two options on how it affects a class' schedule

1. ignore the event
2. replace the lesson with the event

Can we get a third option?

3. shift the lesson schedule

That's essentially what happens if I create an event *first* that affects all classes then create a class. It flows the lesson schedule around the event. If you add an event *after* the class is created, it'd be nice to have that same feature.

Whether you replace or shift your schedule doesn't have to be an either/or situation. You might have some classes that want to replace their lesson with the event and others that want to shift their lesson.

So the choice would change from
old.jpg
(29.52 KiB) Downloaded 248 times
to
new.jpg
(57.76 KiB) Downloaded 246 times
And as mentioned in another post, when creating a new class, it'd be nice to see a list of all events so that you can choose whether they should be ignored, replaced, or shifted.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

That comes back to the question of who establishes the schedule - the ward or the stake? If the stake sets the schedule (by policy, not in the current version of the software), then the ward has limited options.

And, since there is a manual to get though and only so many weeks in a year, another option may be to double up on a lesson. The only other choice is to drop something entirely, be it the lesson that got preempted or the last lesson in the manual.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
sasgrw

Post by sasgrw »

Good point about doubling up a lesson, although I've never attended a class that did that but can see how that option might be useful. On the other hand, we're not taking a final at the end of the year so if you don't get through the whole book, it might not be a big deal. Everyone could read the final lesson(s) on their own.

I didn't realize that some stakes might set the lesson schedule. Yes, that would definitely limit the options from the ward perspective. We have 11 units in our stake, so that's essentially a ward conference every month (except December). If the stake set the schedule, then each ward would have to skip that lesson (or double up) in order to stay in sync with the other wards.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

sasgrw wrote:I didn't realize that some stakes might set the lesson schedule.
That was the way the old lesson schedule software worked for PH/RS. This version doesn't implement that - the idea (for now) is that the stake communicates it to the ward and let the ward enter it in. But long-term, they do plan to introduce the feature back into the current software.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
mevans

Post by mevans »

Actually the church sets the priesthood/Relief Society schedule for weeks 2 and 3. You're supposed to skip the lessons if it's preempted by another event, such as stake conference. Week 4 I believe is dictated by the stake (TFOT).
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

mevans wrote:Actually the church sets the priesthood/Relief Society schedule for weeks 2 and 3. You're supposed to skip the lessons if it's preempted by another event, such as stake conference. Week 4 I believe is dictated by the stake (TFOT).

Close. For the Second and Third Sundays, the Church sets the topic (i.e., which president of the Church), and the stake sets the schedule so that everyone is on the same lesson. The instructions say that:

-- Lessons are generally taught in the order they are presented in the manual.

-- If stake conferences or other meetings preclude the teaching of one of these lessons, stake presidents and bishops decide if it should be taught on another Sunday.

The Fourth Sunday lessons, Teachings for Our Time, are taught from talks in the most recent general conference. The stake president selects the talks, or he may delegate to the bishop that responsibility.

Details are found in Instructions for Curriculum 2012.

Because the Lesson Schedules site currently does not allow stake input, the stake should convey the schedule to the wards and branches for their use in entering the lesson schedules at the site.

Return to “Lesson Schedules”