Rights for instructors

Discussions about the Lesson Schedules Tool
iamrkh

Rights for instructors

Post by iamrkh »

An instructor tells me that he does not see any way to edit or add lessons when he views the schedule for his class. He is listed as the class's instructor, but he does not see edit icons on the page.

Are these rights currently available to instructors?
ggllbb

Post by ggllbb »

Currently, the bishop and councilors and clerks get automatic edit rights to all classes. Also the auxiliary presidents (not sure about councilors and secretaries), but not instructors, have edit rights for the classes assigned to their auxiliary. For example, the Sunday School president would have edit rights to all Sunday School classes.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

iamrkh wrote:Are these rights currently available to instructors?
I would assume so since the wiki page "Administrators (Lesson Schedules)" to which you linked does state that an instructor should be able to edit his lessons.

How long ago was he added/listed as an instructor? Do any other instructors report the same issue?
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
iamrkh

Post by iamrkh »

Thank you for the responses. He was listed about a week ago. I will survey other instructors this week.

I assume that a listing in Lesson Schedules as an instructor (either as the instructor for a class or as the instructor for a particular week's lesson) is the determinative factor regarding edit rights and that it does not matter whether he/she has a certain standard calling in MLS (e.g., EQ Instructor or Relief Society Teacher).
failproof

Post by failproof »

I have the same experience. As Ward Website Administrator, I set up a dummy class and assigned it a lesson manual and used Relief Society as the auxiliary. I assigned my wife as the instructor for the class, and then we logged in under her LDS Account. There are no links or options for her account to make any kind of edit, add, change, etc. for the dummy class itself or for any of the individual weeks on the class schedule. I additionally tried assigning her as the instructor for next week's individual lesson in the real Relief Society class rather than instructor for the class overall as I did on the dummy class, with the same results. Observed this on both IE8 and the latest release of Chrome. Her calling in MLS does not give her any default admin rights on Lesson Schedules, which made it a good account to test instructor privileges with. The wiki help says "Instructors can edit the lessons for classes they teach.", so either there is an issue here or this was intended to be implemented and never was.

For anyone on the development team, let me know if there is anything I can pull from browser development tools, etc. that will help identify what is going on with this.
tomjoht

Post by tomjoht »

My fault on this. The documentation was wrong. I just updated it to remove the line about instructions having rights to edit the classes they teach. I thought that was how it was designed, but apparently not.

Return to “Lesson Schedules”