Teacher Ordained as Elder

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
caj36

Teacher Ordained as Elder

Post by caj36 »

Does a brother need to be ordained a Priest prior to being ordained as Elder? H1 16.7.3 states that perspective Elders should be ordained as Priests in preparation of receiving the Melchizedek Priesthood - this should have been done in the case, but it wasn't.

My question - is it considered to be "out of sequence" for a Teacher to be ordained directly to Elder?
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

caj36 wrote:Does a brother need to be ordained a Priest prior to being ordained as Elder? H1 16.7.3 states that perspective Elders should be ordained as Priests in preparation of receiving the Melchizedek Priesthood - this should have been done in the case, but it wasn't.

My question - is it considered to be "out of sequence" for a Teacher to be ordained directly to Elder?

In my opinion it would be unusual. The second paragraph under Elders in 1: 16.7.1 says that they are ordained elders after they have served as priests, and lists two other requirements. Being ordained a priest helps in meeting the other requirements. The current Handbook seems to formalizes this process.

I think the stake president would need to carefully counsel with the bishop after studying this section of the Handbook if they decided not to follow this sequence. But they hold the keys, and the stake president may also counsel with his area seventy.

There are no time requirements. He could be a priest for a very short time if he is otherwise active and prepared. And if he has already been ordained an elder, the ordination is valid and this becomes a matter for bishopric training by the stake president.
caj36

Post by caj36 »

lajackson wrote:The second paragraph under Elders in 1: 16.7.1 says that they are ordained elders after they have served as priests

I saw that language, but it is prefaced by the qualifier "Recently baptized brethren." The case here is a long-time member who went inactive for some time, and later returned to activity. When active he was a Teacher, and now he is being ordained an Elder, leapfrogging over Priest.

Your counsel regarding it being under the direction of the Stake President's keys will win the day, I was just wondering if anyone knew of specific guidance in the Handbook or otherwise.
nutterb

Post by nutterb »

On technical grounds, I see no reason a person would need to be ordained a priest before being ordained an elder. Is it really any different than being ordained a priest before being ordained a deacon?

The only thing that seems odd to me about the situation is that the brother wasn't ordained a priest when he first became active. But it's a little late to pontificate about that. If he's worthy to receive the Melchizedek priesthood, then let him receive it.

Return to “General Discussions”