Streaming

So you have the BIG idea that the Church or community needs to develop. Discuss that idea here. Maybe you just want to make a suggestion on a new forum topic. Let us know.
MayaML

Streaming

Post by MayaML »

I know I have written about this before ... but. I live in a country wher there are not many LDS and the roads are winding and long.... Many times we ahve found an ideal place to buy and retire in with a suitable amount of money, even some left for startmoney for our kids.... but the problem always seems to be the way to church. It may take as long as 1 1/2 - 5 hours to the closest LDS church.
How wonderful it would be to be able to watch the service and meetings from that ward you belong to through internett... even broadband is there but no Church! Also it would be nice for those that are sick to be able to "attend".
It would be great to "bring the church" in those far away places too.
So instead we have to keep us at most an hour from the Church building and that means that the houses cost a LOT.
Now we have 2 1/2 miles to the Church and we can even walk that if needed. We feel strongly, that we should move to westcoast, but the houses there are so expencive if close to the Church.
On an other hand looks like we are applying to a mision at home or Temple... but I would hate to have to stop my voluntary mision on the internett....
dennisn

Post by dennisn »

I've had similar thoughts myself. In addition to people in the circumstances you describe, it could also be helpful for members living in areas where there are no or very few other members, and for those who are homebound for reasons of health or age. I think, but am not sure that broadcasting on the internet is less expensive and has fewer governmental restrictions than broadcasting via the airwaves. To protect against abuse, it should probably be available only with the approval of the local (or general if there are no local) authorities, and encryted.
MayaML

Post by MayaML »

We were teaching a lady who become Christian in Iran by listening a radiostation from Germany.... her family allowed her to be babtised to... I think lutheran or such. Unfortunately missionaries stopped visiteing her and she had to take two busses to the Church which was too much trouble.
Anyway it would be fantastic to be able to have a radiostation in my language that would send both on internett and on the air in Finnish (maybe also partly in a Scandinavian language). The Finnish station that could be heard fex in Estonia could reach many that do not know about the Church. Also like in the TV or radiostations in Finland do not allow LDS programs in as they consider LDS as non Christian newreligion. We are not allowed to have a part in the morning or evening "seremony" = a few good words and music like the spoken word, as we are "unchristian" (same with TV). This attitude of the radio strengthens the attitude to the people. I ahve heard the Tabernacel choir a few times in the radio and TV and that is all. We need our own chanals.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

One limitation of streaming services is that it can't transmit the ordinances. The most important part of the Sunday services is the sacrament, and that requires physical participation and priesthood presence. Streaming services would be better than nothing, for those in remote places, but can't fully replace being in the church building with other members. Also, if it were made available to anyone, actual attendance at church would drop dramatically. It would be easy for members to get lazy, wear their pajamas, and eat while watching, and reverence and focus would be a lot harder to maintain.

Return to “Ideas & Suggestions”