Request Records functionality now available in Clerk Resources

Discussions about the Leader and Clerk Resources on lds.org.
PartridgeRM
Community Moderators

Request Records functionality now available in Clerk Resources

Post by PartridgeRM »

Clerk Resources 1.9 Released

We are pleased to report that a new update to Clerk Resources functionality was made to LDS.org. The major addition to Clerk Resources with version 1.9 is the ability to request records into the unit.

Release date: Tuesday, 22 May 2012

System requirements: Supports current Internet browsers versions (e.g., IE, Firefox, Google Chrome, and Safari). There is no support for IE7 or earlier versions.

Help and instructions: See the General Help pages found under the Help menu in the top right of menu bar.

Available languages: The new content is available in English, Spanish, and Portuguese. The following languages will be added as soon as they are available: French, German, Italian, Russian, Chinese, Korean, and Japanese.

New Features
  • Request Records functionality was added in Clerk Resources to the Membership>Records menu.

Membership records can now be requested for members who have moved into the unit. The move is immediate.

NOTE: The ability to move membership records out of the unit is NOT part of this release but will be added in a future release.
  • A Unit Settings link was added to the Other menu. This setting allows the default paper size to be changed. It is initially set based on the location standard for the country of the unit.

In the future additional settings items will be added such as meeting times and unit name abbreviations.
Attachments
RMP-20120522-0005.jpg
(32.07 KiB) Downloaded 172 times
zaneclark

Post by zaneclark »

Slight problem maybe.... It could be that I am missing something, but the default ward that shows is the first ward, alphabetically in the stake, and the only way to get to my ward is to click on the Callings by Organization and then use the pulldown menu to get to my ward. There is no pulldown menu on the first screen.
cfitch

Is request member records option on LDS.org just for ward leaders?

Post by cfitch »

Can Stake Clerks request member records or just Ward Clerks and leaders? The request membership option does not appear as an option on my LDS.org screen.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

cfitch wrote:Can Stake Clerks request member records or just Ward Clerks and leaders? The request membership option does not appear as an option on my LDS.org screen.

According to the access table only bishops, ward clerks and assistant ward clerks have that option. That's consistent with MLS. The Stake MLS can't request records either.
cfitch

There is an upside to giving Stake Clerks the option to request records.

Post by cfitch »

It would be helpful to give Stake Clerks the option to request records. Occasionally Bishops give first-time recommends to students, originally from their ward, but the students still have their records in their student wards. After the Stake President completes his interview and the member leaves, the Stake Clerk tries unsuccessfully to activate the recommend. The Stake Clerk then has to contact the new recommend holder and tell him his recommend is not valid (He/she may want to attend the temple the next Tuesday). The Stake Clerk then has to contact the Ward Clerk to request the new recommend holder's membership. Then the Stake Clerk has to watch for the membership records to arrive. When they do arrive, he can activate the recommend and contact the member and tell him the recommend is now valid. The obvious answer is to better train the Bishops. This is somewhat effective. Giving Stake Clerks the option to request membership records would eliminate the need to call the member and tell him his recommend is not valid and eliminate the call to the Ward Clerk.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

cfitch wrote:Occasionally Bishops give first-time recommends to students, originally from their ward, but the students still have their records in their student wards. After the Stake President completes his interview and the member leaves, the Stake Clerk tries unsuccessfully to activate the recommend. The Stake Clerk then has to contact the new recommend holder and tell him his recommend is not valid (He/she may want to attend the temple the next Tuesday). The Stake Clerk then has to contact the Ward Clerk to request the new recommend holder's membership. Then the Stake Clerk has to watch for the membership records to arrive. When they do arrive, he can activate the recommend and contact the member and tell him the recommend is now valid. The obvious answer is to better train the Bishops. This is somewhat effective. Giving Stake Clerks the option to request membership records would eliminate the need to call the member and tell him his recommend is not valid and eliminate the call to the Ward Clerk.

Training the bishops is by far the best answer. A bishop has no keys of authority regarding someone who is not a member of his ward, and so he has no right to issue a temple recommend to them. If the student is returning home and the records need to be requested anyway, then the bishop needs to make sure the records are requested before he interviews that member.

If the student is still attending the YSA ward, then the bishop and stake president should not be issuing the temple recommend. That just creates a situation where the bishop has to do one of two things:
  • Tell the student that he or she will just have to start the interview process again in the YSA ward and stake; or
  • Pull the record from the YSA ward temporarily until the stake can activate the recommend and then send it back.
But that second option is not a good choice. It has far more negative effects than the home ward and stake often realize. When they do this, it has these effects:
  • It releases the member from all callings
  • It removes the member as a home or visiting teacher, and removes them from being home and/or visiting taught.
  • It clears out the contact information (address, phone, email).
  • It removes any custom fields associated with the member.
  • It removes the member from the ward, so that any reports that are printed during the time the membership record is temporarily gone will be inaccurate.
That creates a significant administrative burden for the YSA Ward. All that work has to be redone when the record comes back. It's much better not to do that at all.

Modifying the Leader resources to support a process that shouldn't even be happening doesn't seem to me to be a helpful course of action.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

cfitch wrote:The Stake Clerk then has to contact the Ward Clerk to request the new recommend holder's membership. Then the Stake Clerk has to watch for the membership records to arrive. When they do arrive, he can activate the recommend and contact the member and tell him the recommend is now valid. The obvious answer is to better train the Bishops. This is somewhat effective. Giving Stake Clerks the option to request membership records would eliminate the need to call the member and tell him his recommend is not valid and eliminate the call to the Ward Clerk.
I agree 100% with aebrown's comments but I will add that if the records do indeed need to be requested, the new tools already provide a significant improvement. When you call the clerk he can request the records while still on the phone and they will be available immediately. No need to watch for them.
nbflint

Post by nbflint »

I can't wait to move someone's records in so I can test it out!

While it may be more convenient for stake clerks to be able to move membership records around the responsibility of doing so has been delegated by the Lord to the member's Previous and new bishops. Ward Clerks only help to facilitate that process under the direction of the Bishops. Eliminating the Bishops from the process by allowing Stakes to request membership records seems to me to be contrary to the established ecclesiastical responsibilities. This is not merely an administrative function.

jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

zaneclark wrote:Slight problem maybe.... It could be that I am missing something, but the default ward that shows is the first ward, alphabetically in the stake, and the only way to get to my ward is to click on the Callings by Organization and then use the pulldown menu to get to my ward. There is no pulldown menu on the first screen.

That is because you are a Stake assistant clerk which tells the system to act differently then if you were just a ward assistant clerk. Acting in a stake role there isn't anything more significance about your own ward than the first ward in the list.

Note: For someone with just a ward calling they only see their own ward anyway.
zaneclark

Post by zaneclark »

I understand now..... I have run into this conflict before between my stake and ward assistant clerk callings. I hope this is something that is being discussed by the people who would have the authority to change this.

Return to “Leader and Clerk Resources”