Why are there radio buttons for Sunday School lessons?

Discussions about the Lesson Schedules Tool
mevans

Why are there radio buttons for Sunday School lessons?

Post by mevans »

There are (fortunately optional) radio buttons for choosing the Sunday School class (Adult, 12-13, 14-17). What are these used for? I don't see much of a point for these.

With the youth 14-17 classes, the course of study is the same as the adults and I have the same schedule for all of those classes. The theory is that youth and parents get the same lesson on the same day...gives them something to talk about at home. Since those radio buttons are there, I think I should ask about them before they become obligatory. Are there plans for using these somehow? If so, I would like the option to have the same schedule apply to the 14-17 classes as well as adults.
ggllbb

Post by ggllbb »

Even though the lesson schedules are the same for Gospel Doctrine and the 14-17 Youth (and in my case a Spanish speaking adult class), the teachers are different. I have classes set up for both the adults and the youth and in the future, probably the Spanish class.
mevans

Post by mevans »

I'm not completely sure how the teacher feature is used - other than to have a place to store the teacher's name. Right now it only allows one teacher.

If I'm trying to keep everyone on the same schedule, does it make sense to be able to create schedules and then associate one or more classes with a master schedule? This would allow those who want a master schedule to have one and those who don't can create a separate schedule for each class.

Although ggllbb has created a separate lesson schedule for each class so that there can be a separate teacher for each, this still doesn't explain the purpose of the radio buttons. For example, a large ward might have a separate class for Course 14, 15, 16, and 17, yet there's only one radio button to cover all of those.
nbflint

Post by nbflint »

I can see where that might be nice to indicate who should/could be attending which classes; but I can't find anywhere that it is displayed either.

mstauff

Post by mstauff »

The radio buttons are meant to mirror the current church curriculum breakdown. It should be basically the same as what you see listed here: http://www.lds.org/manual/sunday-school?lang=eng . They're optional, but if you use them it may allow some things to happen automagically in the future, (maybe creating courses for your unit for 2013 once that curriculum is available). The system doesn't do that right now, but that's just an example of some of the things those could be used for.
mevans

Post by mevans »

Thanks for confirming they're used for nothing at the moment. I'm not sure how such a feature would work that you've described.

If we're going for each class, I'd like to be able to create a master schedule and associate multiple courses with a particular schedule. This way I wouldn't have to duplicate the schedule for each class.

Return to “Lesson Schedules”