View Teacher.. Is it a link?

Discussions about the Lesson Schedules Tool
bcgroen

View Teacher.. Is it a link?

Post by bcgroen »

Just wanted to provide some feedback on the "view teacher" portion.

I noticed that in the lesson schedule "view year" portion there is a link in the upper right that says "view teacher." When I hover over this link my mouse changes to the finger icon which makes me think that this is a link. When I try clicking nothing happens. When I hover over it, the name of the instructor shows. I tried this in Chrome, Firefox and IE9 with same results. I tired logging in with my ward website admin privileges and my wife tried it with no privileges, same result.

Was the "view teacher" text intended to just show the teacher when hovering? If so maybe you should not change the icon when you hover over it. It would be cool if this actually was a link and would take you to the directory when clicked...the teacher's profile and picture would show up which would be useful.

This is my first post so let me know If I am reporting this feedback the right way.
jdcr256
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jdcr256 »

bcgroen, this is good feedback, thanks.

I'll note this to fix the link issue the next time we update the app. Your idea for linking to the directory is a good one as well. I'll note it for consideration.
shanewalters

Post by shanewalters »

I was hoping this was a way to show the teacher when printing. It'd be nice to have something like this for the administrative side (e.g., taking the year's schedule with teachers to presidency meetings).
sasgrw

Post by sasgrw »

When I hover over 'view teacher', I get 'none'. I checked our callings to make sure we're using standard callings instead of custom callings and that seems to be correct. That is, we're using the standard built-in calling names of 'High Priests Group Instructor', 'Elders Quorum Instructor', 'Relief Society Teacher', etc but their names don't show up when I hover over 'view teacher'.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

The instructor is set when adding a class. See Managing classes (Lesson Schedules) for details.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
sasgrw

Post by sasgrw »

I'm using the built-in classes. Should there be an 'edit' button to modify the class info? Do I have to delete the standard built-in class and re-add it with instructor info? Seems like an odd way to do it.
williamjackson

Post by williamjackson »

Click on "Manage Class Schedules" (top right). The edit button is on the left. It looks like a square with a pen sticking out. It is orange. Click it, and you can add an instructor to a built-in class.
sasgrw

Post by sasgrw »

Wow, now I know how my user analyst feels when I tell them a feature is obvious but they argue that it's not usable. I saw the edit icon to the left of every class name but they just looked like decoration. There's no tooltip when you hover over them so it wasn't obvious that I should click on it to edit. Active and Delete are obvious because of the column headers. Perhaps Edit should be in the right column too with its own header.
Attachments
Region Capture.jpg
(37.22 KiB) Downloaded 190 times
sasgrw

Post by sasgrw »

Oops, didn't mean to keep that attachment to my post. I was originally posting that I didn't see the edit icon, because it took me a while to see the obvious. I forgot to remove the attachment but I guess it applies to my comment about having it on the right with Active and Delete.
kisaac
Community Moderators

Post by kisaac »

sasgrw wrote: I saw the edit icon to the left of every class name but they just looked like decoration. There's no tooltip when you hover over them so it wasn't obvious that I should click on it to edit.
It seems to be a trend! The beta newsletter has another "decoration" that actually is the means to edit.
From my post explaining my concern:
I like the simple buttons that say what they do, like "new article," or "edit." That way, I don't have to guess that a picture that somewhat resembles a pencil, means "edit."

Return to “Lesson Schedules”