how prevent duplicate records for child convert baptism?

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
sasgrw

how prevent duplicate records for child convert baptism?

Post by sasgrw »

I searched this forum for 'convert baptism' but couldn't find my answer.

We adopted a daughter from China two years ago when she was 8 years old. We had a record created for her and added to our family. She has since learned English very well and decided to be baptized. When I try to record the baptism, it says it has to be recorded as a convert baptism because she's over 8. I started to do that but then MLS complained that I was creating a duplicate record (because the name and birthdate matched). It asked if I was sure I wanted to create a duplicate record. I'm not sure :-)

Do I go ahead and create a duplicate record then add this new record to my household and then delete the old child record? Will this cause a new membership record number to be created?

Any problems deleting the old child record? I think it had a membership number too.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I believe the record has to be created by the mission office because she's over the age of 8. I find it odd that you seem to be able to create one in MLS. Perhaps the duplicate checking kicked in before the baptismal checking did.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
sasgrw

Post by sasgrw »

So if I have the mission office create the record (I presume they have MLS?), and we get the record, does it show up automatically in our household or does it appear as a sole record (I guess as it's own head of household)? Either way, it sounds like I might have a duplicate record in my household so I should delete the older record?
sasgrw

Post by sasgrw »

I'm not sure my original question was answered. I have the ability to create a convert record in MLS. Should I not be able to do that? Should the mission office always create the convert record? If I'm allowed to do it (and it seems like I can - the option is there in MLS and it let me fill in everything, which is how it knew a duplicate record would be created), then I'll have two records for my daughter. The same would happen even if the mission office created the record. There'd be two. Should I just create a new record and delete the old one?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Using my test install of MLS:

When I try to add a baptism date to an existing record, I receive the notice: "According to the baptism date, this person was over 8 years old when baptized and must be entered as a convert baptism. Please close this page and use the Convert Baptism link."

When I go to the convert baptism link, I get: "Individuals age 9 or older are considered converts. Membership records for converts are normally created by missions. To avoid creating duplicate records, please do not create this record until you have checked with your local mission office. Do you want to continue?". At which point it gives the option to create the record.

Now, if the mission office enters the record, it's entirely possible that the system will detect the "duplicate" and update the child's record. If a duplicate is created, then you can follow the Duplicate membership records procedure. In either case, I do advise working with your local mission office to prevent a triplicate.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
kisaac
Community Moderators

Post by kisaac »

Duplicates do happen in exactly this case! I also suggest you check with them (call your missionaries, and have them call their office staff, or have your Ward mission Leader do it) as duplicates are one more thing to correct. I wouldn't think missionaries are always involved in a baptism of a nine or ten year old from an active family, even though it is technically a "convert baptism," and if they were not, the mission office probably would not be entering anything.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”