Some status icons in household list not displayed

Discussions about the Ward Directory and Map tool on churchofjesuschrist.org.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Some status icons in household list not displayed

Post by jdlessley »

System Windows XP SP3, FireFox 12 and IE8.

The household verification status icons for all but unverified households are not being displayed in the households list. The icon markers on the map are displayed.

The location of the unverified household icon in the households list is different between FF and IE8. In FF it is displayed right aligned while in IE8 it follows immediately after the household name.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

jdlessley wrote:The household verification status icons for all but unverified households are not being displayed in the households list. The icon markers on the map are displayed.

Are you saying that unmapped status icons are not being displayed? Because I certainly am still seeing unmapped status icons in the Directory.

If you are concerned about the status icons for verified locations, then I believe that is by design with the new maps application. It makes sense. The old maps application (which can still be accessed for a little while longer at lds.org/maps) used to show icons for all households, but that just created a lot of visual clutter. The new maps application only shows icons for the households that need attention -- those that are not verified or unmapped. I think that's a good change.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

aebrown wrote:Are you saying that unmapped status icons are not being displayed?
The unmapped status icons are the only icons displayed.
aebrown wrote:If you are concerned about the status icons for verified locations, then I believe that is by design with the new maps application.
If that is correct then the Maps Help needs to be updated or at least indicate what icons appear on the map and what icons appear on the Households list.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

jdlessley wrote:The household verification status icons for all but unverified households are not being displayed in the households list.
jdlessley wrote:The unmapped status icons are the only icons displayed.
I'm confused about what you are saying. First you said that "icons for all but unverified households are not being displayed". That's a bit convoluted, but it does clearly state that only icons for unverified households are being displayed. Then you say that only icons for unmapped households are being displayed. Which is it? In my experience, both those kinds of icons are displayed. Only the icons for verified households are not displayed.
jdlessley wrote:If that is correct then the Maps Help needs to be updated or at least indicate what icons appear on the map and what icons appear on the Households list.

I see nothing wrong with the help section you linked to. It says only that "you can see their location icons on the map" (emphasis added). I suppose it could be helpful to add an additional note about the directory icons, but what is there is certainly not incorrect.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

Sorry, I meant to say unmapped instead of unverified.
JD Lessley
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

Today the directory list shows all the icons except the verified household icons.
JD Lessley
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

jdlessley wrote:Today the directory list shows all the icons except the verified household icons.
I still can't comprehend why you are seeing something so different from what I am seeing. I see:
  • For verified households, no icon
  • For unverified households, the unverified household marker (a yellow triangle with a black exclamation point)
  • For unmapped households, the unmapped household marker (a orange circle of dots)
That's what everyone should be seeing. In addition, since I have a clerk position, I can see a padlock icon by households that have chosen to make their visibility "Leadership Only".

Here's a screen shot of what I'm seeing. You can see that most of the households have no icon, because their locations are verified, but you can see the other icons.
mapsdir.jpg
mapsdir.jpg (3.62 KiB) Viewed 820 times
Are you sure you are using the new maps application (it should be at lds.org/rcmaps at this point)? I'm having a hard time figuring out why your experience seems to be so different.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

aebrown wrote:I still can't comprehend why you are seeing something so different from what I am seeing.
Today I am not. I am seeing what you are seeing. Yesterday all I was seeing was the unmapped household icon.

And it would be nice if the help would explain more clearly what one is expected to see. Since the update(s) to the Maps application I do not know what to expect. That is why I posted what was happening.

And yes I am using the new Maps application. The method of access is through the LDS.org link. I have long since quit using bookmarks because the Tools applications have changed URLs enough in the past few months.
JD Lessley
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

jdlessley wrote:Today I am not. I am seeing what you are seeing. Yesterday all I was seeing was the unmapped household icon.
Thanks for clarifying that. I misread your post today, but I can see that you were saying that it is working the way it should (at least in my opinion).
jdlessley wrote:And it would be nice if the help would explain more clearly what one is expected to see. Since the update(s) to the Maps application I do not know what to expect. That is why I posted what was happening.
The Help system doesn't say anything about what icons you should be seeing in the Directory portion of the maps application. I'd fix it myself, but unfortunately the Maps help system is being written by a Church writer who doesn't seem to believe in the wiki philosophy, so he has requested that no one edit the help page.

Return to “Ward Directory and Map”