changing a members information

Discussions about the Ward Directory and Map tool on churchofjesuschrist.org.
ryanmc

changing a members information

Post by ryanmc »

I am the ward clerk and i used to be able to change members phone numbers and other info from the website, but when i tried today i could not. Thiswas a very convinient feature because our computer is often busy. Was this taken away on purpose?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Not that I know of. But I've seen some screwy things with the lds web system this weekend.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

ryanmc wrote:I am the ward clerk and i used to be able to change members phone numbers and other info from the website, but when i tried today i could not. Thiswas a very convinient feature because our computer is often busy. Was this taken away on purpose?

As ward clerk I can still edit phone numbers and email address in the Directory. In the Clerk Resources section I can edit those and addresses. So I don't see any change. It's been a few weeks but there was a change in the Directory so that the interface is different. You have to click on the Edit button at the top of the household column in order to edit anything. Can you still get into the Clerk Resources section? If not, then check and make sure your calling in MLS didn't get changed accidentally.
ryanmc

Post by ryanmc »

Yup I can see and edit the members info in the clerk resources, but not in the directory. In the directory I can add email or phone for members that don't have one, but for members that do, all I can change is the visibility.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

ryanmc wrote:Yup I can see and edit the members info in the clerk resources, but not in the directory. In the directory I can add email or phone for members that don't have one, but for members that do, all I can change is the visibility.

When I click on the Edit link next to the visibility label it pops up a dialog which has an edit box for the phone number and radio boxes for the visibility. In that box I can edit the phone number and save it (see below). Are you seeing something different?
directoryedit.jpg
directoryedit.jpg (13.77 KiB) Viewed 1637 times
ryanmc

Post by ryanmc »

Ok now I see it, I can edit phone numbers and emails from the popup window. But I did not see any way to edit the address or preferred name. Those used to be editable from this screen.

One other thing, can members still edit their own information? I have been referring member to the directory to update their own preferred name, phone numbers, and pictures. It sure makes my life a lot easier.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

ryanmc wrote:Ok now I see it, I can edit phone numbers and emails from the popup window. But I did not see any way to edit the address or preferred name. Those used to be editable from this screen.

One other thing, can members still edit their own information? I have been referring member to the directory to update their own phone numbers and pictures.
It's never been possible to edit addresses in the directory but it is possible in the Clerk Resources section. Preferred names haven't been and aren't editable in either place. I expect that's coming to the Clerks Resources section but it hasn't happened yet.

And, yes, members can update their own phone numbers, emails, visibility settings and pictures (although pictures have to be approved before they show up to other users).
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

ryanmc wrote:One other thing, can members still edit their own information? I have been referring member to the directory to update their own preferred name, phone numbers, and pictures. It sure makes my life a lot easier.

Although members can edit some of their own information, they cannot edit their preferred name. They have never been able to do that on the Directory on LDS.org. Perhaps you are confusing that with the Classic Ward and Stake Websites, where members could specify their preferred name (but it only applied to that site -- it was not synchronized with MLS or any other site).
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
wiseman13

Post by wiseman13 »

As a member of a bishopric I am also having issues changing phone numbers under either the directory or the clerks section. I can select to edit the phone number, but when I hit save it just spins without reporting any sort of script error. Anyone else seeing this behavior? I first saw it on Jun 19th.

-Scott
chris_hazeldine

Post by chris_hazeldine »

I find this happens on certain records only - I have been able to successfully change details on members but then find one that will not accept changes. When I click the save button it just spins. Still other records I can modify but not certain records. Wierd.

Return to “Ward Directory and Map”