What does sustaining mean

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
dsgunn130908

What does sustaining mean

Post by dsgunn130908 »

what is the church definition of sustaining / sustaining someone
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

dsgunn130908 wrote:what is the church definition of sustaining / sustaining someone
The most common definition is the one covered in Handbook 2, Section 19.3 (titled "Sustaining Members in Church Callings"): "The leader who oversaw the calling, or a priesthood officer he authorizes, presents a person to the congregation for a sustaining vote."

There are other meanings of the word "sustain" along the lines of supporting someone in their calling, and certainly that is something each member should do for people who have been sustained in a calling, but without context of what you are asking about, I would go with the definition of the sustaining vote.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
nbflint

Post by nbflint »

dsgunn130908 wrote:what is the church definition of sustaining / sustaining someone

You must be living right. President Eyring must have heard your question and decided to provide the answer! The June 2012 First Presidency Message is entitled "Called of God: And Sustained by the People." Though, I don't see it posted on lds.org yet. I received the June 2012 Ensign yesterday in the iPhone Ensign app.

P.S. It is a great article! I can't wait to go home teaching next month!

aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

nbflint wrote:The June 2012 First Presidency Message is entitled "Called of God: And Sustained by the People." Though, I don't see it posted on lds.org yet.

It's available at this link: Called of God and Sustained by the People.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.

Return to “General Discussions”