password (printer networking)

Issues related to the use and operation of Family History Centers
farwest

password (printer networking)

Post by farwest »

At our FH center they are trying to network a printer and it is asking for a administrator and password. The administrator part is there but to their knowledge there never was a password. Is there something they can do to make this work?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

farwest wrote:At our FH center they are trying to network a printer and it is asking for a administrator and password. The administrator part is there but to their knowledge there never was a password. Is there something they can do to make this work?
Is it asking for a Windows administrator username and password, or does the printer have an administrator username and password? If it's a Windows username, then the STS should know those credentials. If it's a printer username, then the printer documentation (if you don't have it, you should be able to google it) should tell you what the default administrator password is, and/or how to reset the password. If you want specific help, it would help to know the make and model of the printer.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

farwest wrote:At our FH center they are trying to network a printer and it is asking for a administrator and password. The administrator part is there but to their knowledge there never was a password. Is there something they can do to make this work?
It sounds like whoever installed the printer either didn't set it properly for sharing or else assigned a password. I would contact the STS for your stake and work through him.
Have you read the Code of Conduct?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I would add that the Family History Department has been working to standardize the printer setups in the various FHCs. Off the top of my head, I don't recall any passwords being required in the new setup. At least none that weren't documented as part of the process.

If this is a new printer that wasn't sent by FHD, you may want to reconsider.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

aebrown is right, The likely scenario here is that Networking a printer typically requires a Static IP Address set. To set the IP typically on a network printer, you must Sign into some kind of interface, or use software provided by the printer manufacturer to access the printer. If this is the case, the best way to get the password is to use google. Type something like -->Brother 230WL default password<-- and that should get you what you need. The username and password will not be needed to setup the printer on a FHC computer, but installing a network printer is a bit more complicated with XP than Windows 7, private message me if you would like some help.
farwest

Post by farwest »

thanks for the help will try your suggestions. the fh director said there was no password to her knowledge.

Return to “Family History Centers”